Teacher working with dementia

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
How are you doing now? Over the shock of the wretched PET scan? Not nice is it? When will you get the results? That's the worst bit, having to wait for the results. I'm so very sorry to hear your news. It's a complete bummer. My husband has VaD but however horrible it might be, he's still exactly the same person he always was - totally adorable. He might suffer with the on/off switch that you talk about, but at least he's still remained completely himself. Take heart. Maybe, if it's confirmed, other bits of you might end up getting 'lost' but you'll remain exactly the person you always have been and every bit as loveable. If it's not confirmed, breathe a jolly big sigh of relief!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Lol! Could not figure out wheat TP was at first! I thought..."Why is she talking about toilet paper?" Lol.
Duh, right?
It is very good to find out about how those of us still working are handling it!!!! I love the responses!
Thank you for the encouragement.

lol now I shall think of you as April TP :)

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hi Stan

Wow! She went through a lot at a time when he needed more understanding. Had she had cancer they would have raised funds and celebrated each milestone. With dementia it appears that people are more afraid of it and the understanding is absent. I don't even understand it.
Right now, I have good evaluations on my job and even won a large monetary reward for outstanding teaching. Now, I am just trying to make sure each child's needs are met and it actually makes me even better at times I think.
The Pet-Scan was repeated twice in one session. That has me worried a little. But whatever will be will be.

Thank you for sharing your wife's story. What does she do now? How is she? How are you handling it all?

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
You are such a dear! Thank you Badita!! Did I misspell the name?
Your words are soft and kind. Made me smile.
I am still calming down. The tears are all gone. Hopefully I am drinking enough water and juice to flush this toxic waste -radioactive stuff out. I read it takes 2 days to clear out!

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
AprilBday, sorry to hear of your problems. I too am from the USA, age 65. Good luck with the results of your Scan.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hi Bill-

My PET- Scan came back NORMAL! I do NOT have Alzheimer's my neurologist says!!!!!
Since I have memory challenges, he said there is some form of dementia -wasn't told what kind- and to change my Aircept by increasing to 20 Mgs then tapering off if it doesn't help and switching to something that sounds like namenda-think that's the name.
But ...I am of a different mindset now!!! Since the Pet-Scan determined that I don't have Alzheimers-I am actually quitting my medicine!!! Why take it if I don't have those tangles and plaques?
I am free! Yay!
Whew!
I don't know what day it is from one hour to the next unless I look at my watch, forget my students names, everything takes longer to do...., forget common words, etc. - just a terrible time. But at least it's not Alzheimers. He said the scan was "normal".
Yay!
But then again...what the heck kind of dementia do I have?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think your mixed feelings are understandable aprilbday. It's good to be told that you haven't got AD but, as you say, you would still like to know what is actually causing you problems.

I don't know if you are familiar with the 'nun study' (if you google it, it's sometimes referred to as the 'nun study'). This article about it may be of interest:

http://www.healthcentral.com/alzheimers/c/42/88723/nun-contradictions/

Briefly, the study suggests that plaques and tangles are not necessarily present in people who have dementia symptoms and that some people with plaques and tangles do not have dementia symptoms. This study used post mortem examination of the brains of the nuns which, clearly, is likely to better evidence than even the best of scans.

Despite the fact that the original nun study findings have been known about since the beginning of the century they, strangely, do not seem to be widely known.