TEA and the SIL

penga

Jun 4, 2012
Me again and its only 10H00, this morning its hot tea on MIL, no burns this time.
MIL sleeps a lot, hardly eats or drinks but appears contented, SIL is not happy and keeps trying to wake MIL to watch TV, she does not want to, but everytime she wakes her, she has to have a cup of tea, hot and in a delicate china cup, that MIL cannot control, hence the accident AGAIN. SIL will not entertain the thought of a beaker.
I am being to think like Dexter, time/place and a good disposal site::mad:

Stay well

C

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am still trying to see the positives here. And you are having to make these judgements all the time about when mis-guided care overwhelms all the good intentions. Obviously burning people is not OK. Giving them a cup of warm tea is fine. Pretty china lifts all our spirits .... but is no help at all if we can't drink our tea out of it.
Maybe the most important thing is you are aware of what is happening.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
You can buy fine china mugs in pound stores, obviously not anywhere near the quality of fine bone china, just a cheap version. If you gave her a mug but only filled it halfway she could maybe manage the mug better than a cup. Also if she drops or breaks one at least you know its easily replaceable than perhaps trying to match a good one with the set you already have. I personally dont like thick rimmed mugs and if i drink tea (about 5 times a year- im not a big tea drinker) i prefer the cup to have a thin rim like china has.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Is your SIL showing any signs that she herself has got problems because it sounds to me as if she is try a bit too hard to make her Mum 'normal' again. She sounds almost on the verge of a breakdown.

penga

Jun 4, 2012
If I have time to sit with MIL, usually that is pm just pop by on way to work am, I use a thin china mug about a third full, you have to help otherwise MIL can fall asleep mid sip which means a beaker might save some spillage but SIL puts the tea in front of her and goes off, does it with food as well, then complains it is not eaten.

penga

Jun 4, 2012
To Onlyme

SIL is heading for a breakdown but will not listen too or heed anything that is said.
See post about cats and pigeons. OH maintains that his sister is a bigger problem than his mother and has been for years!!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if SiL would entertain the idea of a straw. Your MiL can still have the bone china but might be able to control what she takes.