Tea and coffee!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Just heard a piece on the Beeb about a new study. Apparently people who drink several cups of tea or coffee each day are at less risk of strokes and dementia. Who knew? (Did they check with my mother who drank loads of T & C every day?)

How the heck would they prove that? How have they ruled out all the other variables?

Still - slurp - I plan to continue my usual consumption - it may save me :rolleyes:
?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've read so many reports about how tea and coffee are either bad or good for you that I take them all with a pinch of salt. I drink a fair bit of tea, but try not to drink too much otherwise my husband reckons I look ill. He is a total coffee geek with a professional espresso machine and grinder in the garage. He also roasts his own beans. I can't imagine he'd give it up unless a doctor expressly told him to.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That was very interesting @nitram I used to put a few shakes of salt in my ground coffee when I was preparing a pot. I don't know why or when I stopped. But I just refilled my cup and added a tiny bit of salt. It actually does remove any bitterness. I drink my coffee black so the bitterness is not an issue for me.

As for coffee and tea helping to reduce strokes and dementia, well, we'll just have to put that along with the other interesting theories which haven't been proven yet. At least ne will be making money on them - yet. I'm sure some one will come along with a 'special' coffee or tea saying how it will cure AD.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I thought the same, my mum was constantly drinking tea.

What were the control group doing? Were they identical twins and tea/coffee drinking the only difference in their lives? As usual, it makes an attention-grabbing title but means nothing, unless all the other factors in play are taken into account.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It actually seems a really pointless study. Why stop there? Why not do another to see if people who eat ice cream have fewer strokes, less dementia, etc? Or black pudding? Or Creme de Menthe?

Tut. When you think how the money for that survey could be better spent...

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I believe my Mother would have bled tea if you cut her - and yep, she has dementia.
Why can't they spend money on actually researching something useful :(