Tax and self assessment

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Hi hope someone can help with this.

My brother has developed Mega Dementia problems it is very sudden and his memeory is catastrophic totally mixed up and can’t remember much about the last few years. He is not being seemn by Memory Clinic until 28th March so no diagnosis yet.

He normally sends in a tax return and I am in panic mode in case he ha snot already sent it in. He normally is very good over this but he has recently gone on the computer and trashed some files relating to the form. Does anyone know how you can contact the Tax people as I just can check he has returned the form. He is also in total denial about his condition mainly cause he can’t remember from one moment to another and I am worried he’l be in trouble if he has not submitted it.

Any ideas.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If he hasn't submitted and paid by the end of Jan, he will get a £100 fine.
Try resubmitting a return for him, that should show if one has already been done.
Good luck with trying to phone the Tax office, they might answer by Easter!

Bod

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Without either a valid LPA in place and a copy provided to HMRC they can't give you any info.

The short term consequences would be a £100 fine. Any unpaid tax attracts interest at around 3% and a 5% surcharge if it is unpaid by 28 Feb.

I think you probably need to try and relax about the 31 Jan deadline and deal with things in an orderly fashion.

Are you likely to see his post before he does? It is common to destroy or hide things (I've read your other posts re both mum and brother). If so you will spot if there is a fine, but I guess you might not.

I suggest you try and get your brother to give you LPA, get on with registering it, and then contact HMRC. Once you determine the position, then if there are penalties appeal them.

If you have all the required info as Bod says you can try resubmitting but you will need his gateway password to do this.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I am sorry to hear about your brother. In case it helps you feel less panicked, my mother did not file tax returns for two years. I only discovered this last March after she moved to a care home and we were clearing her flat - she had put all the HMRC 'threat letters' in her clothes drawers. The fine by that point was about £1500. We gave all her paperwork to our accountant who contacted HMRC, and when they heard the circumstances they immediately cancelled the fine. Of course you can't guarantee that will happen, but if there was a mishap you may find they are understanding.

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Without either a valid LPA in place and a copy provided to HMRC they can't give you any info.

The short term consequences would be a £100 fine. Any unpaid tax attracts interest at around 3% and a 5% surcharge if it is unpaid by 28 Feb.

I think you probably need to try and relax about the 31 Jan deadline and deal with things in an orderly fashion.

Are you likely to see his post before he does? It is common to destroy or hide things (I've read your other posts re both mum and brother). If so you will spot if there is a fine, but I guess you might not.

I suggest you try and get your brother to give you LPA, get on with registering it, and then contact HMRC. Once you determine the position, then if there are penalties appeal them.

If you have all the required info as Bod says you can try resubmitting but you will need his gateway password to do this.

Thanks for quick replies. I am just imagining all kinds of dire consequences a the moment. My brother was the one who always took care of finances and we so shared everything. So it’s quite hard doing it by myself in areas I don’t know about. I just panic and think the worse will happen. But maybe it has with his condition.

I have applied for Lasting Power of Attorney and hopefully that is now in process but it will be 6 - 8 weeks before I get any Documentation, so my Solicitor told me. So at the moment I just have to get my Brother to agree to do things. Which is extremely hard through the denial bit.

I can view his emails as he lets me sit with him when at the computer but often has a seizure and is clicking like mad sometimes deleting files so quick. I virtually have to wrestle the mouse out his hand. This freaks him out and we end up shouting at each other..I would say there is nothing like sibling rowing.

I know this is not good for him so I will try to stay calm but as everyone on this site knows that’s like catching a cloud.
Thanks again
CaroleBeech

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Thanks for quick replies. I am just imagining all kinds of dire consequences a the moment. My brother was the one who always took care of finances and we so shared everything. So it’s quite hard doing it by myself in areas I don’t know about. I just panic and think the worse will happen. But maybe it has with his condition.

I have applied for Lasting Power of Attorney and hopefully that is now in process but it will be 6 - 8 weeks before I get any Documentation, so my Solicitor told me. So at the moment I just have to get my Brother to agree to do things. Which is extremely hard through the denial bit.

I can view his emails as he lets me sit with him when at the computer but often has a seizure and is clicking like mad sometimes deleting files so quick. I virtually have to wrestle the mouse out his hand. This freaks him out and we end up shouting at each other..I would say there is nothing like sibling rowing.

I know this is not good for him so I will try to stay calm but as everyone on this site knows that’s like catching a cloud.
Thanks again
CaroleBeech
ThankssIrena that’s helpful for me to panic less.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
There might be an historic email confirming submission

I meant to add to my post that any appeal should be successful. If you did engage an accountant to sort this out, the cost would come out of your brother's funds, but this depends on if you think he can afford it.

It is horrible taking control of things, my mum always had a very firm grasp of her finances, and that bit going hit me harder than some of the other bits as it was who she was.

With LPA you can use it to redirect all your brother's post to you, but this might cause problems in itself as your brother will see this as taking over.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013

Thanks again
CaroleBeech

If he's deleting files etc. there may be a chance of recovering them. You need to get in touch with a computer expert, who once they have seen the computer may be able to help. Same with E-mails.

Bod
PS Does brother have a mobile phone?
If so check for messages from HMRC giving access codes, the dates of these messages might give a clue when any work was done.

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Luckily he never believed in mobiles so always use my number when needed. Isn’t life a mess sometimes all I want is everyone to be content and happy perhaps it’s just my background of always being able to sort stuff out. At the moment I am on hold till LPA comes through.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
If all he is doing is deleting the files on a Windows computer, recovering them might be as easy as finding the recycle bin and restoring them. The same with his email - the deleted emails might still be in his 'Trash' folder.

Is he happy to share usernames and passwords with you? If you can log in to HMRC self assessment, you can see whether a tax return has been submitted and if there is tax to pay. But as other people have said, don't panic too much, there might be a fine to pay but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

You could also try phoning the tax office to ask if they have received the tax return - again, the problem will be getting through security questions (and they are very busy at this time of year, obviously) but if you can manage to speak to someone they will be able to help.

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Hi. You're registering LPA so what you need is a short term solution re Self Assessment. If your brother will agree to you making enquiries, you can phone 0300 200 3310. Have his NI number ready. Explain he wants to check whether he's submitted the SA form but needs your help. Then you'll have to pass the phone to him so they can confirm they can speak to you.
If he hasn't submitted the form, they should explain how you can get access to his online account because he has 'additional needs'.
As others have said, if you can't get it done in time you can always appeal. Record date you phoned. You don't need a solicitor or accountant to appeal unless it"s very complicated.
Hi thanks fab advice will do this tomorrow. This forum is so fab lots of folk have so much advice and knowledge just wish it could be appreciated by powers that be.
Thanks again

carolebeech

Jan 24, 2019
Hi thanks fab advice will do this tomorrow. This forum is so fab lots of folk have so much advice and knowledge just wish it could be appreciated by powers that be.
Thanks again
Want to know how I can help anyone. I have no expertise in anything to do with dementia but I know about education, arts and well being. Any help I am there.
CaroleBeech

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
In the first instance check the recycle bin on your brothers computer as the deleted files will be in there, although some bins are set up to empty them after a certain period of time so be quick! Then email any important ones to you so that you can restore them to your computer where they will be safe.