Talking to thin air

andypandy

Jun 28, 2015
Sitting with mum tonight, and she had nodded off in her chair, then she wakes up carries on watching TV, then starts to have a conversation with someone in the corner of the room where she's sitting. There is no-one there, I actually think she thinks she is talking to my dad who passed two and half years ago. She then turns to me and laughs then turns away and carries on her conversation.

Is this 'normal' for this awful disease. She is so much worse at night, hence the late post, I'm on a sleepover and she's just gotten up for the 5th time since 11 o clock. It's going to be fun for me at work in a few hours :eek:

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Sitting with mum tonight, and she had nodded off in her chair, then she wakes up carries on watching TV, then starts to have a conversation with someone in the corner of the room where she's sitting. There is no-one there, I actually think she thinks she is talking to my dad who passed two and half years ago. She then turns to me and laughs then turns away and carries on her conversation.

Is this 'normal' for this awful disease. She is so much worse at night, hence the late post, I'm on a sleepover and she's just gotten up for the 5th time since 11 o clock. It's going to be fun for me at work in a few hours :eek:

Just a quick answer, yes quite normal, but worth talking to GP, I don't know what meds she's on or not as the case may be. At least it doesn't sound as if she is getting upset with these conversations.
Best wishes

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
It can happen and is my experience with my mum. What kind of dementia does she have? My mum has Lewy Body and it is a prominent feature of that. Like you, she often directs her talking to the side of the room where I am not, and if I dare 'interrupt' she shouts at me. It is rarely the same person she is hallucinating, sometimes family members who have died, sometimes a policeman, sometimes the doctor. It depends on where her obsession is at the time.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
There is a lady in my mother's CH who talks almost non stop to thin air. It's always much the same - 'I don't know, darlin', I don't know sweetheart, it wasn't me, I don't want it' but then going on to 'I hate him, he's a bloody liar, he hit me,' and so on in various variations for hours. I don't know what sort of dementia she has.

It's very sad to listen to, since it would seem that she's not had a happy life. 'That b*sta*rd' comes into it a lot. :-(