Talking to radio

Josh60

Feb 27, 2018
Sheffield
Hi.I wondered if any body else has come across this.As i have not observed this with dad before.
Dad has self awareness and knows that he can only do so much etc.Im not aware that he knows he has VD.
In the afternoon ,he Is assisted into his conservatory (wheelchair).
I have heard him talking and replying to people on the radio.It is really weird.He no longer has the patience or ability to look at the newspaper.He just glances at it..
This talking to the radio is a new thing.
When I mention it to him that I can hear him talking to it ,his reply is”Not me!You must be hearing things”!Really odd!
My wife who has Alzheimer's talks to the TV and she thinks that the actors can hear het, she also offers them biscuits cakes ect. At first it used to worry me but now I just let it happen as I come to realise that it's all part of this terrible disease. Just let it happen and accept it's all part of his problem.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My wife who has Alzheimer's talks to the TV and she thinks that the actors can hear het, she also offers them biscuits cakes ect. At first it used to worry me but now I just let it happen as I come to realise that it's all part of this terrible disease. Just let it happen and accept it's all part of his problem.
Thanks. I have got used to it now.

daveb378

Jun 3, 2018
This is not in response to any other item in discussion at present on this forum.
Just to make more people aware that eligibility criteria for being granted a "blue badge" changed at the beginning of September and in addition to people with physical needs, it now also includes people suffering from dementia or Alzheimers.I applied 10 days ago and received my badge this morning.It was so easy and would recommend anybody to put in an application.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My mum is 87, has vascular dementia and is now in a care home. Sometimes when I visit (3 Times a week) she can be fine, other times like yesterday she seems to hear my voice talking to her in her head and starts saying how much she hates me, how I am a terrible daughter and then she turns and tells me to get out her room and not to go back. I am finding this whole situation so difficult.

My mum is hostile at times, sadly as the dementia progresses she’s becoming softer towards me. Even concerned at times.... it’s bittersweet to see the decline but lovely not to be on the end of the hostilities!
Sending (((((((Hugs))))))))
X

Saith

Feb 4, 2017
Hi
My husband talks to people on TV all the time , sometimes argues with them too, He is always telling me that they come into his house without permission and it’s not right.
There is nothing else he can do except watching TV.
With the weather being good I take him for short walks but I am dreading the winter

stillupset

Jul 28, 2016
My mum used to become very angry with people on TV, wave her walking stick at them, and tell them to get out of the house. Initially I took her around the back of the set to show that nobody was there, but of course she wasn’t convinced, so the set had to stay off until she went to bed. Unfortunately she wouldn’t stay there for long.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So mirrors, reflections & tv trigger Mum, but only when she’s exhausted. So important for proper rest periods, the improvement is short term but vital.
So I am backing off again from Dads care in the care home & sadly to get the help he now needs I have to allow absences see that without my input he spirals!

How cruel is this system!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Yep.Basically what I have done with dad.
I think mums heart failure has progressed now to stage 4 as she is getting confused and is now cyonisied.

Refuses to see doc .I cannot persuade her.She doesn’t have dementia.I feel like a boomerang sometimes.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Mum can no longer distinguish the difference between the TV and reality, but it's difficult because she isn't really capable of doing anything other than sitting in front of the TV all day. Adverts and links confuse her, but I thought I had found the solution when we got a TV that takes USB sticks. I could put a whole load of carefully selected films on it for her, make sure they all had subtitles and that they didn't contain too much 'jeopardy'.

But like so many people on here, I have to be more and more careful what I let her watch, and the list is getting smaller and smaller. For example - she loves Harry Potter. Great! I could put the whole set of films on for her and she could happily watch them all day. Then she started getting distressed at the later ones, so I limited it to the first four. But now she even gets upset at the basilisk in number two, so can only watch the first one.

Old fifties musicals, period drama series and gentle fairytales are good - Nanny McPhee, The Princess Diaries - and old black and whites, so long as they have happy endings. But she still thinks it's all happening in her house.

She seriously told me that she was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger at one point ... she was watching True Lies, of course :D

And yes, like so many of you it affects her mood at bedtime. I have to be very careful which part of any given film she is watching when the carers turn up, otherwise she can get into a foul mood.

But it really helps to know that so many of you understand, and that this isn't unusual. We adapt, we cope and we get on with it ...

Hugs

Jo xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep