Talking to radio

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.I wondered if any body else has come across this.As i have not observed this with dad before.
Dad has self awareness and knows that he can only do so much etc.Im not aware that he knows he has VD.
In the afternoon ,he Is assisted into his conservatory (wheelchair).
I have heard him talking and replying to people on the radio.It is really weird.He no longer has the patience or ability to look at the newspaper.He just glances at it..
This talking to the radio is a new thing.
When I mention it to him that I can hear him talking to it ,his reply is”Not me!You must be hearing things”!Really odd!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum used to think that what was happening on the TV was actually happening in her home and that the people on TV were in the room talking to her, so she would talk to them

I guess its a similar thing

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Mum used to think that what was happening on the TV was actually happening in her home and that the people on TV were in the room talking to her, so she would talk to them

It is.It is just weird hearing it.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
One time The Banjoman was convinced the whole Bake Off team including huge trailer lorry were in the lounge of his flat. He did wonder how they were going to get it out!:D

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
Hi TNJJ,
My hubby has started doing that, only when I’m in another room though, I’ll say to him sorry did you say something, no nothing at all he says! Now he’s starting swearing at adverts that are meant to funny, l can hear him saying, stupid bu**ers, what are you talking about!! Just another symptom of this heartbreaking disease, I’m afraid.:( x

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I think it's a common trait of dementia as I heard of pwd talking to radios, TVs, mirrors, etc before my dad did it.
I can recall him waking up in his front room and saying that the police were in his front room by/with a canoe on the waterside.... I then looked as the channel the TV was on and saw it was one of the crime-devoted channels on Sky/VM. He must have been watching a programme the previous night and took it for real.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yep, Mum chats to the TV, radio & when she has a UTI oh my the hallucinations & delusions triggered are awful!
Mums delusions daily aren’t as bad but it can be frustrating trying to sort out the fact from fiction!!!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife will often say "Who's that?" but she doesn't follow up with "on the television". She seems to believe that those hairy bikers - and lots of other people - are in the room with us.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I’m glad it is not only me.
I’m never sure whether dad is aware he is doing it &just choosing to pretend he isn’t. Or isn’t aware..
Who knows!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It may be that he denies talking to the radio because, in his mind, hes not - hes talking to the people who are actually there :confused:

Toppo

Sep 12, 2018
Hi.I wondered if any body else has come across this.As i have not observed this with dad before.
Dad has self awareness and knows that he can only do so much etc.Im not aware that he knows he has VD.
In the afternoon ,he Is assisted into his conservatory (wheelchair).
I have heard him talking and replying to people on the radio.It is really weird.He no longer has the patience or ability to look at the newspaper.He just glances at it..
This talking to the radio is a new thing.
When I mention it to him that I can hear him talking to it ,his reply is”Not me!You must be hearing things”!Really odd!
My LO argues with Alexa and talks to himself too! AND phones random people with random comments that have come into his head.

ollyfran

Oct 9, 2010
West Midlands
My Mum used to do this. Now she just shouts at the TV telling them to "Shut up!" I think it's yet another phase this Dementia journey takes you on.
On a lighter note, I find myself doing this to the MPs over Brexit!

daveb378

Jun 3, 2018

I had a realisation a while ago that the television programme that my wife watched prior to going to bed affected her attitude.As an example if she happened to see any programme such as Eastenders or similar "shouty"confrontational type, that would be the tone she would adopt with me when trying to get her ready for bed.I purposely now choose a calming more quieter programme.It is now nowhere near as fraught at bedtime.

Mary -Lou

Jun 5, 2018
I’m so pleased I read this post it has put my mind at rest, my OH talks to the TV all the time we watch quiz programmes, political programmes such as QT. He thinks it is in our living room and puts his hand up to ask questions
He then tells me he’s seen whoever was on the panel and was talking to them, he will reply and wave to news readers when they say goodnight

Saying things like did you see her / him smiling and waving to me
If we watch parliament he’s in chamber with them, the list is endless
I didn’t know if this was a part of V D or not but after reading your post it obviously is.
Thank you all

utopian

Oct 17, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I had similar experience with my mum and TV where she'd actually leave the TV on because "other people were watching it"!

This was very concerning to me as this happened regularly (she lived on her own in sheltered accommodation at the time) so I did a bit more investigation as it was causing her a lot of distress. She was complaining that there were people watching her TV regularly and keeping her from sleeping.

I later found out that at certain times of the evening, GoggleBox was on TV so she was watching people watching TV and "they wouldn't listen to her", "wouldn't watch what she wanted to watch" and she didn't want to interrupt them. We had to stop her watching TV at that point in her VD/A as the confusion was just causing too much distress.

GoggleBox is a weird enough concept, but to those that can't rationalise it, it proved dangerous.

Ziggy25

Sep 23, 2019
My mum is 87, has vascular dementia and is now in a care home. Sometimes when I visit (3 Times a week) she can be fine, other times like yesterday she seems to hear my voice talking to her in her head and starts saying how much she hates me, how I am a terrible daughter and then she turns and tells me to get out her room and not to go back. I am finding this whole situation so difficult.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I had a realisation a while ago that the television programme that my wife watched prior to going to bed affected her attitude.As an example if she happened to see any programme such as Eastenders or similar "shouty"confrontational type, that would be the tone she would adopt with me when trying to get her ready for bed.I purposely now choose a calming more quieter programme.It is now nowhere near as fraught at bedtime.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
@daveb378 I realised the same with my dad some years ago. He was a fan of crime programmes and one evening it seemed to have increased his already foul mood. I knew it was down to what he was watching as he included in his rant how he had to go court for my brother and had to take a policeman to get someone... I changed the channel to something more comedic and his mood lifted in minutes. I was so relieved.