• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Talking Point update

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
It's all very well updating Talking Point, but I notice some downsides since the update:

• In pre-upgrade posts, links to other posts / threads no longer work
  • Images included in existing posts seem to have disappeared
  • The member-owned content (such as those image files) seem to have been wiped out.

It's a pity that the upgrade entails this kind of damage to existing content. I haven't seen that happen before.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm sure adjustments will be made in the coming weeks to iron out any difficulties. I'm no technical expert but I do know how much hard work has gone into this changeover and I can assure you it wasn't done for fun but from necessity.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
So far, I haven't had a problem.
In pre-upgrade posts, links to other posts / threads no longer work - mine do
Images included in existing posts seem to have disappeared - mine do or seem to so far
The member-owned content (such as those image files) seem to have been wiped out. - no idea what that means. If I put a picture on here I'd still have the original on my computer, cloud or wherever, I'll go and look at some old threads and see if the pics have gone.
K

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's all very well updating Talking Point, but I notice some downsides since the update:

• In pre-upgrade posts, links to other posts / threads no longer work
  • Images included in existing posts seem to have disappeared
  • The member-owned content (such as those image files) seem to have been wiped out.

It's a pity that the upgrade entails this kind of damage to existing content. I haven't seen that happen before.
The upgrade has taken an enormous amount of hard work and I’m sure will be very well worth it once members have become used to the new site. It is intended to make things easier for all users no matter which device they use to access the site.
I’m sure it is inevitable that there will be glitches in the system after such a massive transfer of files but these will be ironed out, with the most important taking precedence of course.
Regarding photos, the insertion of these is vastly improved. Take a wander around the media options after going to the Media heading. Also try out the icons on the formatting bar. There are so many things to discover here.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
@nmintueo
Sorry you are having problems, it's early days since the migration and work is still ongoing sorting out various glitches.
In order to help members find their way around the new site, and also to provide a single place where problems not covered in the FAQs could be reported, analysed, collated, and hopefully solved, a thread https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/faqs.104329/ was set up at launch.

It would help admin deal with your concerns if you posted them in that thread.

@SerenaS

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I'm not too worried about changes but I do notice that I'm constantly being logged out if I stop to do other things which is inevitable as a carer. I choose the stay logged in option on both my iPad and iPhone but hav to go through the logging in each time. A 24 hour log in would be good.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
I'm not too worried about changes but I do notice that I'm constantly being logged out if I stop to do other things which is inevitable as a carer. I choose the stay logged in option on both my iPad and iPhone but hav to go through the logging in each time. A 24 hour log in would be good.
This looks like a cookie problem on your devices.
If possible try clearing all cookies associated with TP, make sure you know your password.
Otherwise clear all cookies making sure you know the authentication pairs for all sites.
Your time on the test site may have confused things although it should not have, same authentication pair but different URL

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
@marionq. I don't understand this. I clicked on the remember me/stay logged in box ( sorry I can't remeber what it is called in this new system) . Needless to say I've remained logged in since the start.

Perhaps you could report it on the Test Thread Serena started in the welcome sub forum.

It is here

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/the-test-thread.104336/page-9#post-1451103

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
iPhone now fine but iPad still logging me out. Cleared history and cookies and chose allow cookies from websites I visit. Anything else I should do?
Are you say that clearing cookies fixed it on the phone but not the iPad?

If so I'm now 99.9% sure it's a browser/cookies problem and nothing to do with the TP site.

Try again with the iPad.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They are called conversations now. You either click on the envelope at the top right of the screen then click on Start a new conversation or you click on a user name and then on Start a conversation.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
How do I send a private message to other members?
Many ways, easiest is probably click on a members avatar and then click on 'start a conversation' Click on an envelope icon to see all conversations - it should have a number indicating unviewed conversations..
If enabled (default is enabled) you should also get an email of replies.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Many ways, easiest is probably click on a members avatar and then click on 'start a conversation' Click on an envelope icon to see all conversations - it should have a number indicating unviewed conversations..
If enabled (default is enabled) you should also get an email of replies.
The Lady says 'easy' oh dear!. Have noted those instructions. Next question, how do I find members avatar?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
They are called conversations now. You either click on the envelope at the top right of the screen then click on Start a new conversation or you click on a user name and then on Start a conversation.
Thank you Beate. Sorry but another question, is there a user/member list somewhere?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Think I've got it Beate, I have just sent a private message to you - testing my understanding!