Talking Point: So what is going to happen?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Recently, Said posted an announcement on
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=5858

I want to keep Talking Point members up to date on what is going to happen as time is passing quickly into spring now [hurrah!]

Firstly, an update on what happened prior to the announcement above.

History

The Talking Point moderators try to have at least one meeting, face to face, each year. It is the nature of the lives of the moderators that not all may be able to attend the meeting.

Some moderators live too far away to make the trip - so far meetings have been in London, but we would like future ones to take place outside the South East.

Alzheimer's Society does pay the travel costs - but it is the ability to be away from the caring role, the family, the job that determine whether a person can take a day out.

The meeting was a long one and the key issue that came out was the need for Alzheimer's Society to support Talking Point and the moderators and members in a more substantial way because the moderators, all volunteers, were under too much strain to continue without that.

I think to say that we put the point very strongly was an understatement.

The outcome from the meeting was agreement that Alzheimer's Society would fund six months of a person, part time, to define the role that a permanent post would take on afterwards. That role is defined in the announcement that Said made.

I took on the temporary role on 9 March because I care about Talking Point, its members and those who are cared for by the members.

March 9 onwards

Since then, Amy started the thread in Tea room http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=5916 and this has proved helpful in clarifying things that had been unclear until then.

A big note of thanks is due to Amy, and to all who have responded. I know it took a lot for some of those who did, to return to TP.

Alongside this I have been considering what are the most important things to get started on. With help from the other moderators and AS, I have decided:

1) clarification of conditions of use and how they are made available
2) documentation of a moderator's role
3) making decisions by TP moderators more public, so members know what is going on

Regarding 1), the existing ones are hugely comprehensive, as they must be, but they are - in my view - a bit overenthusiastic in what they stop members doing.

I am already looking at that.

They are also lacking in words to define the area of copyright.

I am looking at that so we can say up front what is permitted, and what is not, in a clearer way.

When we have reviewed and modified the conditions of use, the full version will replace the current ones, in the current locations.

But frankly, who reads these things from start to finish? To be honest, the first time I actually read the whole document was after I started in this role. What I saw raised my eyebrows..... my fault, of course... we should always read these things.

So, we need the things we most regularly want to do detailed in a more succinct form - things like posting pictures, posting web addresses. We need to know when we can't use them, and more importantly, when we can.

Originally [item 2)] I wanted to produce some training/documentation materials for the moderators [and new moderators] to use as their guide.

Gradually, I realised that it would be more effective if ALL members could have access to them.

So that, when an action is taken by moderators, the membership can understand what the process has been.

Item 3) complements that, so we go public more often when there are problems we have had to address.

It is business as usual for Talking Point as all of this [and more] is worked on, but I wanted you to know that things are in hand, and what those things are.

In all of this we are taking into account what members have told us, and what they continue to tell us.

Sorry this has been such a long post!

Bruce

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you Bruce. It's good to know what is happening behind the scenes.

It's a huge undertaking, and I thank all the moderators, and you in particular, for devoting so much time and energy to this.

I'm sure we'll all be happier when everything is spelled out, and there should be no more excuse for arguments about the guidelines. (That's not to say there won't be, we're a pretty contentious lot, we've had to be).

I look forward to the result.

Good luck,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
there should be no more excuse for arguments about the guidelines
Just to confirm that, if there ARE suggestions to change them and they are proved to be sensible suggestions that protect ALL parties, and are acceptable to AS, then they will be changed.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks bruce, its good for everyone to be kept informed of whats happening, although i understand that some things need to be kept private, i believe being more public about the operation of TP makes everyone feel part of the same team.

Love Alex x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Brucie said:
But frankly, who reads these things from start to finish?

Apart from a 'thanks' for the job you are undertaking .... another for bringing some 'realism' to it!!!!!;) :)

Must endorse all the remarks made here and on the other thread about quite what Amy/Helen has achieved ..... I'm not sure there is a such a thing as a 'virtual atmosphere' - but I sense huge changes for the better in TP already amongst lots of its members ......

Reminds me of that warm feeling when you read that sign on a doorway ' There are no strangers here - just friends you have not yet met' .....:) (virtually in our sense) .....

Well done, Bruce, admire what has been achieved so far and all the work you - and others - are putting into it ..... I, for one, feel very positive that out of all this, TP will grow stronger and better and be an even bigger resource for all who need it ....

Love, Karen, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
While I’ve been quietly reflecting on all things including TP :rolleyes: …. been wondering if the ‘structure’ of the sections can be in anyway improved…???

I recall at the time the ‘Dealing with Loss’ section was introduced there being some debate about it …. and it’s been good to see the feedback on that recently …

I’m not sure why this thread relates to Raising Awareness ….. It feels like it should belong on some ‘TP Home Page’ ….. nor why the ‘Welcome New Users’ section is in the Tea Room when new users would, I think, gain a much wider ‘audience’ and potential for help if they were immediately welcomed in the ‘Main Section’ ……

……… and what with ‘stickies’ and announcements ever growing on different sections……??? If existing members sometimes find the site a little confusing as to where best to post or to look for information I wonder how daunting it must seem for prospective new members who may well be nervous enough - for all sorts of reason - about posting at all …..?????

Just thoughts I thought I’d throw in ….

Love, Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Karen

thanks and yes, this is another thing we will be considering.

The current face of TP seems horribly complex to me and I would like to front-end it a bit more simply and logically, though whether the software permits that, I don't know.

Then we can look at which things can go where most appropriately.

All comments such as yours are helpful, and we will take them into consideration as we figure out what to do...

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks Bruce for confirming that - if it seems horribly complex to you, then what chance for the likes of me?????? :)

You must be getting to the stage now you need a list of all your lists ......?

This IS only a part-time role????? - I'm getting vibes you keep taking work home from the office!!!!!!

Look after yourself, too

Love, Karen, x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
if it seems horribly complex to you, then what chance for the likes of me??????
My new role, together with input from you, and Amy, and Skye, and others, has given me the opportunity to stand back from TP and review it objectively - previously I was more subjective because I was a member primarily to help Jan.

I'm hoping this will help everyone!

My list of lists is hierarchical and runs to many generations :eek: and that doesn't include the far more complex lists that Nina gives me - I already have a to-do list from Nina for 2008....:eek:

Oh and regarding part-time... yes, it is, but the basis on which i took the role was that it did not interfere with my caring role. I work from my study at home. Hence some weird hours!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Brucie said:
My new role, together with input from you, and Amy, and Skye, and others, has given me the opportunity to stand back from TP and review it objectively - previously I was more subjective because I was a member primarily to help Jan.

Bruce, in my experience, you have never been other than objective.

HUGE respect.

Brucie said:
- I already have a to-do list from Nina for 2008....:eek:

What are you doing in 2009?