Talking point is my saviour

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
I would like to take a couple of minutes to say thank you to all the TP contributors.

I am fairly new to Talking Point and did make an initial post a couple of weeks ago (out of pure desperation) entitled "I am so depressed" to which immediately cheered me up with some very quick replies welcoming me to this forum with some helpful advice and information.

When my wife (frontotemporal dementia sufferer) has gone to bed I sit here for a couple of hours (or more) each and every night reading scores and scores of messages, sometimes I get mad, sometimes I laugh, sometimes I get emotional but I can honestly say that over the past couple of weeks after reading hundreds of posts and replies I am actually starting to feel much better in myself.

I am learning that there is kindness out there, in all shapes and forms, something I never thought existed or even imagined.

No matter how bad I feel there are hundreds more folk going through a worse pain than I am.

I am not big on forums, never have been, but TP has helped me adjust my way of thinking with little contact just by simply setting aside a couple of hours each evening with a cup of coffee just reading, nothing more, nothing less, just reading.

So thank you every one, TP is really my savior

Dave

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Lovely post Dave :)

I too usually come here after everyone is in bed, and mainly read and think. It's a great feeling of being in totally undemanding, reliable and supportive company.

So thanks everyone from me, as well :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And whatever about help from here Dave- are you now getting the practical help you need from the Powers that Be?:)

lu

Feb 9, 2014
So good of you to share your feelings...that is why I love this forum...not only does the responses help, but the initial post brings familiar things to mind, and I loved it when you said you grabbed a cup of coffee and read the posts. I find this very calming to me...providing I had some decaf... Visit, even though some may not post, we are there. Bless you, Dave

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
One thing I am amazed by, is the mental and emotional energy that goes into so many posts.

Several times I have logged on, meaning to describe a problem or issue, etc, and have found myself simply defeated by not having the strength to describe it properly. Can't tell you how many posts I have deleted as inadequate...:eek:

So to those of you who do manage to express yourselves, extra thanks, because so often people like me can identify with you xx

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Hi Lindy50

Never feel defeated, deflated or drained. (my 3 D's) :)

Always find the strength to write how you feel no matter how inadequate you may think your post will be as I know there will always be an answer here in Talking Point.

"Big things can come from small packages. :)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Lindy50

Never feel defeated, deflated or drained. (my 3 D's) :)

Always find the strength to write how you feel no matter how inadequate you may think your post will be as I know there will always be an answer here in Talking Point.

"Big things can come from small packages. :)

Thank you so much Dave :) I will try to remember the 3 D's :)

Now I'm off to bed feeling a little tearful.....but not in a bad way :cool:

Goodnight all xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
What a lovely thread. I feel the same about TP, Dave. I don't know where I'd be without it, and all the understanding friends I've made here. I'm glad you've joined us.

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
I feel the same dave,it really helps to know that other people are going through the same things as I am, because in times of despair it often feels like you are alone. I often log on to this site and spend hours, just reading, sympathising and very often in tears from peoples posts. I always thought that when my dear mum passed away that I would leave TP put I really can't and really think it is helping in my grieving process.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Cor. Me too Dave. I don't post very often. (I'm too new and I don't know anything!) but I read every day.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been with Talking Point eight years and am still here.

It did [ and still does ] everything for me which I was unable to get elsewhere and it`s a pleasure to find new members with the same feelings. :)

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Lovely post Dave, and I'm so glad you're finding TP to be a help as you get through the days.

For me the utter relief in finding other people who were going through the same things and understood this strange world I found myself living in was enormous. And then I read and read, and learned more and had my questions answered often without ever needing to ask them.

And if it's right for you and you find it helpful and supportive it will be at your side the whole way through your journey and into the future.

Best wishes to you and your wife :)

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
Hello Dave. Glad you found TP, maybe your wife could write as well.I find sometime s that it is a comfort as no one notices my wrong spelling or such. You can just be who you are with no pretence. And I love to know what our carers get up to;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Me too, although quite new to TP I find it amazing support, thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I would like to take a couple of minutes to say thank you to all the TP contributors.

I am fairly new to Talking Point and did make an initial post a couple of weeks ago (out of pure desperation) entitled "I am so depressed" to which immediately cheered me up with some very quick replies welcoming me to this forum with some helpful advice and information.

When my wife (frontotemporal dementia sufferer) has gone to bed I sit here for a couple of hours (or more) each and every night reading scores and scores of messages, sometimes I get mad, sometimes I laugh, sometimes I get emotional but I can honestly say that over the past couple of weeks after reading hundreds of posts and replies I am actually starting to feel much better in myself.

I am learning that there is kindness out there, in all shapes and forms, something I never thought existed or even imagined.

No matter how bad I feel there are hundreds more folk going through a worse pain than I am.

I am not big on forums, never have been, but TP has helped me adjust my way of thinking with little contact just by simply setting aside a couple of hours each evening with a cup of coffee just reading, nothing more, nothing less, just reading.

So thank you every one, TP is really my savior

Dave

Wotcha Dave!

I popped you a reply on that other post you made. Hope by now you're feeling stronger.

Been in a bit of a slump myself recently and only came here after receiving the latest Newsletter from the Society. I've been away from here for a few weeks.

I'm glad to be here today. Currently waiting for even more medical issues to be sorted out, although with the track record of the last four years, I'm still very cynical over it all.

With my four years experience, living completely alone with this dreadful disease, and now, into my fifth, I wonder how long you've been coping with your wife's active illness? It's true: the initial symptoms of poor short-term memory don't cause any real impact. Later on, however, it turns into something very different. And with no friends or family to talk with - I, like you, find this place a Godsend. My thanks to all who post their experiences. May we all end up with bundles of courage.

Good to meet you, Dave, and everyone else.