Talking 'helps dementia patients'

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just read this today
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7431330.stm

Talking to staff in care homes can help dementia patients, a watchdog has said.

But it said there was not enough communication between staff and patients in about a quarter of the 100 homes in England it checked.

The Commission for Social Care Inspection said talking helped stop dementia patients becoming withdrawn.

The Alzheimer's Society said standards were a "disgrace", with the average resident with dementia getting just two minutes of chat every six hours.

Seem care home are getting star rating .

I talk to my mother , even if she still finding it hard to respond to me , but I do notice that she does want to understand listen to me , just that I have to explain it very slowly to her

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This headline strengthens the call for a higher staff/resident ratio in care and nursing homes which are registered for dementia.

Only in these homes are residents unable to interact with and talk to each other.

Margarita, you talk to your mother. I talk to my husband. But if we put them together and left them to it, there would be silence.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
My family were just discussing this the other day. It just makes no sense. I think more role play is needed ie. where the care home staff & managers of care homes have to spend a little time seeing the world from the perspective of people they are supporting.

EmJ:)