Talking 'helps dementia patients'

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by Margarita, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #1 Margarita, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    Just read this today
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7431330.stm

Seem care home are getting star rating .

I talk to my mother , even if she still finding it hard to respond to me , but I do notice that she does want to understand listen to me , just that I have to explain it very slowly to her

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    This headline strengthens the call for a higher staff/resident ratio in care and nursing homes which are registered for dementia.

Only in these homes are residents unable to interact with and talk to each other.

Margarita, you talk to your mother. I talk to my husband. But if we put them together and left them to it, there would be silence.

3. EmJ

EmJ Registered User

Sep 26, 2007
    Scotland
    My family were just discussing this the other day. It just makes no sense. I think more role play is needed ie. where the care home staff & managers of care homes have to spend a little time seeing the world from the perspective of people they are supporting.

EmJ:)