Talking about dementia care

boots

Jun 10, 2010
london
Hello everybody i have not been on here for quite some time i have been asked to have a talk to some nurses in the next couple of week about dementia care in hospital if it was you what things would you ask about and what worries you have if loved ones go into hospital would like to hear from some of you about your concerns thank you.Look forward to your replys.

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi boots!

Find out if they operate the 'butterfly' scheme at the hospital.
My MIL is currently in hospital and hubbie was asked if we wished to join it. It means that she has a pretty butterfly next to her name, so that everyone knows she is a dementia sufferer and treats her accordingly. They speak to her differently, in a clear fashion, and if she has one of her funny moments, they know how to deal with it.

fantasticfi

Oct 18, 2011
Shropshire
Hi Im new to this, ive joined today.My dad needs a new knee we are seeing a consultant this week and hes due a colonoscapy. he has got more and more confused in the last 12 months and Im worried already about him going into hospital and no one knowing about dementia. hes good at personal hygine and eating but at times he gets upset and panicks and gets disorenated in unusual suroundings without anyone he knows around him and i hate the thouht of him going through that alone. I wondered if there would be any support whilst hes in hospital ?

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
Agree with Kassy about the food. I went one night at 7.00 and my mum still had her sandwiches in front of her only she had poured water all over them so they were inedible. No one at noticed. I managed to get them to supply a yogurt from the kitchen and some biscuits. She wouldnt have had anything if I hadnt gone. I had been there in the afternoon and had gone back because I was worried about the nursing staff not making sure my mum was drinking water.