Talking about death

meh1974

Mar 31, 2020
My mother's sister passed away today and due to corona virus, I cannot go and talk to her in person. She hasn't seen her sister for probably 7 years or so, but they have spoken on the phone about once a year. Mom has dementia for short term issues, but does remember people from her past and will want to know that her sister has died. I'm not sure if it matters if I tell her now or if it could wait until we can talk in person and I can sit with her and reminisce a bit. Any ideas out there?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Gail. Mehlan
A warm welcome to DTP

My condolences on your loss

There's never an easy time to share such news but now is particularly difficult

Personally I would want to have my parent as settled as possible for as long as possible given the challenging times, so I wouldn't have said anything until I could be there myself.... after all there is nothing your mother has to do when she does hear the sad news

can you be confident that no one else will take it upon themselves to contact your mother

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My mother's sister passed away today and due to corona virus, I cannot go and talk to her in person. She hasn't seen her sister for probably 7 years or so, but they have spoken on the phone about once a year. Mom has dementia for short term issues, but does remember people from her past and will want to know that her sister has died. I'm not sure if it matters if I tell her now or if it could wait until we can talk in person and I can sit with her and reminisce a bit. Any ideas out there?
I think due to all the issues with Coronavirus I would wait. I take it she is in a care home?.I think a 1 21 chat is better in person rather than saying it over the phone..