Talk about someone else's glasses!

GrannyT

Nov 27, 2007
London
Both my stepmother and my father were diagnosed with 'memory problems' 6 years ago. My stepmother passed away 18 months ago. Dad has vascular dementia, and is living in sheltered accommodation 'independently'.

I got some new glasses a couple of years ago - they cost £200. Shortly after I got them, they completely disappeared, and I had to go back to my old ones while I searched for the new ones. After about 6 months of searching, I gave up and went and ordered another pair. A couple of months after that, I was at the Chinese restaurant with my parents. When we were handed the menu, my stepmother said 'I don't know what's wrong with these glasses - they're completely useless!'

I said "Really? Let me try them!" Of course they were my old disappeared glasses, all bent up, but I could see perfectly through them!

I got my Dad a multi-coloured 'thread' to string his glasses round his neck. If they get lost they show up, but they do tend to collect food at meal times on the lenses!

Dad has just started to suffer delusions. Today he thinks that he is going to be made King, and he doesn't want the responsibility.

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Oh, we shouldn't laugh.. but your post did really make me smile. Firstly the glasses, and then being made King.

Thanks for making me grin. It's not often that we get the chance is it really.

It makes me laugh that my Dad thinks I'm crazy when I tell him he has lived here 5 years with us. He thinks it is 2 or 3 weeks. He tells me that it is 5 years in my own mind :rolleyes:

He makes me giggle when he says that.

Beverley x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m often searching for my glasses, I leave then in another room or they`re still in my bag, and my husband always offers a loan of his.

We both had pairs with similar frames at one time, and he was always putting mine on by mistake. Sad to say he never realized, just took them off and said he could see better without them.

Beverley,
I tell him he has lived here 5 years
It does help to hear you say that. We have also lived here for 5 years and it`s a daily surprise to my husband.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
It makes me laugh that my Dad thinks I'm crazy when I tell him he has lived here 5 years with us. He thinks it is 2 or 3 weeks.

Oh Beverley

I can so agree with your comment. My dad has been fighting with really bad leg ulcers since September 07 and has been needing lots of antibiotics(nightmare for me as I have to ring him everytime he needs to take a tablet:eek:). He stated that "I have had this "bad leg" for a couple of weeks now:eek: and it should be better within a few days!" and that I am making such a big deal out of something so minor.

Is this something which normally happens, that passage of time speeds up?

Burfordthecat

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
How many times in a day do i loose my glasses?and thats in the one place for 8 hours.must admit that i've never left um in a restaurant!love elainex

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi everyone

Please tell me that I am am not the only one who has turned the house upside down to find my elusive glasses only to realise that they are already perched on my nose:eek:

Burfordthecat

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Don`t know about that Burford, but having worn glasses permanently from the age of 7, until I had a prescription implant at aged 60, I still put my hand to my nose to take non-existent glasses off to wash my face. :rolleyes:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No it wasn`t painful. It was cataract surgery and my clouded lens was replaced with a prescription implant.

jillikins

Feb 25, 2008
He he,
Brilliant, my mums famous for losing her glassas even though she`s been wearing them around her neck for 10 years!

The best was when we all went on hols for xmas,Norfolk coast,a few years ago,mum,dad,kids,grandkids,and great-grandkids.Mum lost her slippers several times a day for the whole holiday, each grand or great-grandchild took turns in finding them.

What a fantastic holiday we had!

Thank you for bringing that memory back!
It even snowed on the beach!