Taking things!

Zadok

Mar 15, 2006
Kent
I posted a little while ago asking how long it takes for people to settle into their care home. Well mum is settling but she did give everyone a fright when she went off for a walk without her coat along a country lane! She is also pocketing things which are not hers...............spectacles, teddies, pens etc. I'm at a loss how to cope with this as she isn't aware that she has taken them................they have just appeared in her room! Or in the case of a rather lovley teddy................in her arms!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
While I wouldn't be so concerned about the things (this seems almost impossible to stop and quite par for the course) I would be more than a little concerned about her wandering off, with or without her coat. What did the home say?

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
there is a lady in Jan's home, now sadly past the stage of taking things, who at one time stripped everyone else's rooms [public and private] bare. She would wander past, arms behind her back with them clutching... well anything not bolted down.

It got so her room was like Aladdin's cave. But at least we knew where to find anything that went missing!

just one of those behaviours that happens with dementia.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
This morning my Mum had a lovely box of chocolates in her room, which I knew nothing about. Since Mum can't walk and is incapable of going into someone else's room and taking anything, I can only assume that she has had a visitor that I don't know about and was given them. Nowadays, her friend needs to be helped to walk, so I don't think the sweets could have come from another room.
Anyway, Mum wanted some cake this morning and I didn't have any, so we ate some of the chocolates in her bedside cabinet!
Mum has lost a pair of glasses, but otherwise she seems to keep gaining clothes which don't seem to belong to anyone else. Perhaps there is a mystery benefactor in her NH!
Kayla

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
jenniferpa said:
While I wouldn't be so concerned about the things (this seems almost impossible to stop and quite par for the course) I would be more than a little concerned about her wandering off, with or without her coat. What did the home say?
Jennifer

Hi
I would also be concerned about her wandering of, does the home have a secure entry/exit?

As I have said on other posts, my Mum has become a kleptomaniac.

I wouldn't worry about what she purloins in the care home. They understand, as long as you try to return that which doesn't belong to your Mum.
I have the same problem from daycare. So much so, that if the staff have lost something like keys, when they bring Mum home they ask me to look in her pockets and handbag, sometimes she has it, sometimes not.

When we went to collect Mum and Dad from respite, I could only find one of Mum's boots, in the bedroom and both her slippers were there ---what was she wearing on her feet??

When I investigated, I found out Mum was wearing blue slippers-- HERS WERE PINK---

I changed slippers and returned both slippers and the spec case, (not Mum's) which I had found in Mum's room, to the manager.

The manager laughed and said we share everything here!! Not a bit put out.

We did find Mum's other boot in the lounge behind a chair, so no one had taken a fancy to it.

Alfjess

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Missing

Rons' spectacles went missing about two weeks ago and in spite of his name being inside the staff still haven't found them, perhaps someone has them on their nose...He also lost a shoe weeks ago which hasn't turned up yet.
I'm afraid you just have to go with it...I find things in his room too. What I don't like is finding clothes that don't have his name in as all his things are clearly marked......Laugh at the little things and only fret about more important ones
Cheerio......
Aileen

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Looking back Lionel used to 'find' soft cuddly toys whilst he was in respite.

Now he is in a care home permanently, with no mobility at all, I don't have the problem of returning things. Would rather he was in a position to 'take things'.
(Remember a rather lurdid pink rabbit that he did not want to give back)