Taking things with a pinch of salt

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum with moderate AD attends a senior citizens club with a neighbour who takes her in her car and drops her off home, once a week.
The ladies that run the club all know about Mum and watch out for her. Shes been going for 5 yrs and before her AD. The main lady that runs it knows my husband well and reports any issues if need be.

At this club, they have raffles, and second hand clothing and books to raise money.

Yesterday Mum went to her club. She told me that she bought a jacket for GBP1, but she didnt really like the colour as it was green, and a lady gave it to her saying that it would fit and that will be a pound thanks. Mum said she didn't know what to say, so handed over the money and took it.

Mum showed it to me and it was hideous. Also it didn't fit round her tummy. Hard to get the zip up. I just said to Mum, oh well keep it in your closet, you neve know if you might wear it.

So I went away thinking, I wonder if the ladies there are taking advantage of Mum?

Today my husband saw the lady that runs the club and asked her what the story about the green jacket was.

Long story short Mum picked it up from the second hand table, said how lovely it was, and it was just her size and colour and gave them the money.
Yes it was her size from over a year ago. :eek:

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Whenever I take mum anything........... slippers, a new bag, a soft toy, whatever, it only takes about ten minutes before I'm being regaled with where she got it & who gave it to her (never me incidentally :rolleyes: ).

I hear the complete conversation, both sides. I listen & say how lucky she is to have such nice people around her.

It's funny how the mind works, she can tell me this very believable & complex tale & it all makes perfect sense, but ordinary conversation is completely muddled :confused:

Lin x

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Mum is also part of a group who go to and organise community events. I sometimes wondered what was going on but I have to say they are the most considerate and caring group of people and although some of them don't deal with dementia very well they all look out for her and make sure she's ok.

I am constantly finding things with raffle tickets on that Mum has won - she buys so many tickets (goes back each time she forgets that she has already bought some) but she enjoys this so it's fine. The prizes are always delivered to her home!

I had to start cutting the labels out of her clothes when she needed a size 18 trousers as she would not accept it and I found numbers of new clothes in charity bags! Fortunately she never manages to put them out for collection!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum is also part of a group who go to and organise community events. I sometimes wondered what was going on but I have to say they are the most considerate and caring group of people and although some of them don't deal with dementia very well they all look out for her and make sure she's ok.

I am constantly finding things with raffle tickets on that Mum has won - she buys so many tickets (goes back each time she forgets that she has already bought some) but she enjoys this so it's fine. The prizes are always delivered to her home!

I had to start cutting the labels out of her clothes when she needed a size 18 trousers as she would not accept it and I found numbers of new clothes in charity bags! Fortunately she never manages to put them out for collection!

Oh my your Mum could be my Mums twin. This is my Mum to a tee.
Always buying raffles for goodness knows what, losing the raffle tickets which puts her into a tailspin.
Mum was always a sze 14/16 but had bowel surgery 3 yrs ago and went down to a 10/12. She has now put all that weight back on and more and is a sz 16/18.
All her 10/12 clothes she has binned or given away, even a few new things which still had the tags on. Lucky they weren't expensive.
She refuses to beleive she might need a 18 or an XL and when with me buying clothes she automatically picks up a 14 or 16.
What I have to do lately is buy her the odd bit of clothing which I know will fit and cut out the tag before I give it to her.
You have to purposelly tell her to put her new clothes on or there they will stay in her wardrobe.

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Mum doesn't change her clothes now, just her pants! One day when I took the dirty ones when she was in bed she got upset and asked where her clothes were, so now I replace with clean. I carefully match up outfits on hangers for when I'm not there and hope the carers will manage to swop her clothes before she gets up or I switch them when I stay over, or get her to change as we're 'going out' . She still has favourites though. Starting to have real trouble getting her to give up a favourite cardi to the wash! Just thought, maybe I'll see if they still sell them and order another the same!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
That made me laugh, my mum had a pink jacket and a small burberry style hat and she was never without them. I had to wait for her to go to bed, steal them, wash them and return them and everyone in our town knew her as the lady in the pink jacket. I bought a second one - identical but it really didn't work, she knew them apart - must have been the smell lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm