Taking tablets.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I put mums tablets out as usual, she counted them and then said she didn't know what to do, i said you put a couple in your mouth and use the liquid to swallow them. She then said she wasn't going to take them, i asked why not, she said she doesn't have to, i tried explaining that she needs them to keep her alive, she said she wasn't taking them. Needless to say she did, eventually!
Why do things like this always seem to happen on (or at) the beginning of the weekend when you can't really call on anyone for help?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
It is really frustrating isn't it. We just used to agree and take them away then go back 10 mins later as though we were presenting them for the first time. Then we'd bring the ice cream out when she couldn't remember how to take them. Shoved the tablets in the ice cream and down the hatch they went LOL. The things you have to do just to get through the day are legendary aren't they. LOL. If the problem persists speak to the GP to see what can be given in liquid form or in a patch, that might be useful.

Fiona

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I try not to give mum food too near to going to bed as she will still be processing it hours later and will be awake (found that out the hard way), i think because there are quite a few she might think i'm trying to poison her (i'm not), and i don't really want to get into an arguement with her either. I might try taking them away and giving them to her about 10 mins later, and i will mention this to the Dr, as for patches/ liquid most of her tablets don't come in that form!

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
We had endless disagreements with mum about her tablets, she almost always took them but sometimes they were thrown across the room or put in her pocket secretly. She couldn't remember how to swallow them whole so they were always chewed up.
In the end we gave them covertly, which some people think is wrong, and I understand why, ground up in food or drinks.
We were told that this may affect the way the tablets work and make them less efficient, but I think maybe the people who say that haven't had the heartbreaking times that we did.

Good luck with your mum's tablets.

PS I know with children that a good way to get them to take tablets rather than liquids if they find it difficult is with fizzy drinks. they seem to go down easier.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I really hope it doesn't come to mum throwing her tablets across the room or her hiding them, i usually watch her when she takes things. Not exactly sure how i will be able to hide them in food as she doesn't like fizzy drinks and have much to eat before she goes to bed and her tablets can't be taken earlier, will have to figure out how i would do that.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Mum's been a pain for years about taking her medication ....

Have often wondered whether it would help if carer took her own "pills" (smarties or whatever) at the same time as the cared-for person takes hers ... Maybe part of the problem is the cared-for person not wanting to be singled out as "ill" or "different"?

Another thing I've wondered is whether it helps at all to dole out the tablets one at a time, with a short gap (for forgetting what's just happened) between them. The cared-for person is likely to be less resistant to taking just one pill than a daunting pile of them. It also cuts down on the confusion factor ("what am I supposed to do with this lot?").

I was never organised enough to try the smarties idea but Mum did seem more amenable if only given one pill at a time. It's infuriating spending 30 mins on a task that should only take a minute or less - but if that's what it takes to avoid upset, so be it.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Its not everytime mum complains, just every so often. I was thinking of doing a couple of pills at a time and seeing how that goes, so i might just try that. The thing is i doubt mum complains when she is given them when she has been in hospital/ respite, as she gets them all at once when there, so why does she complain at home?

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Most of what you have all said rings true. Mum will often refuse to take her tablets and recently when in hospital with a broken hip she would tell the nurse she would take them later and not take them. It wasn't until I complained that the staff agreed to stay with her until she had taken them. The other problem we had was asking whether she had taken them and she forgot or alternatively she thinks she isn't on any. I like the idea of crushing them and mixing with her food. :)

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
This happens all the time in our house too! granny thinks she doesn't need those tablets, doesn't have the ones she needs or can't work out what to do with them!

Recently she was trying to force feed her tablets to the dog (and managed to give her two!).

Perhaps write a list e.g.

Morning tablets- one small blue tablet, one large white, one small pink and one yellow
Evening tablets - one blue, one red, one white

My gran is also having trouble with swallowing so the doctor said to put the pills into a small yoghurt and that's helping her

xx

tarny56

Nov 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
medication, covertly or none at all?

I recently requested permission from the GP to give a resident medication covertly, family were in agreement, because he is on a lot of medication and constantly refuses it, requested 2 GP visits for meds reviews both refused; I work in a nursing Home; I received a letter from the surgery saying I was in breach of human rights act and civil action could be taken against me, I was horrified have been nursing for nearly 40 years. Other surgeries give permission to do this, I have to ask does anyone know if it illegal?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I recently requested permission from the GP to give a resident medication covertly

Technically I suppose the issue is "does the resident have the "capacity" to decide health issues for himself?" ... He probably doesn't. Why not ask the surgery to evaluate whether the resident has "capacity"? You could cue them beforehand with detailed written information about the resident's lifeskills, memory and ability to weigh up risk.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Myhusband began refusing his tablets but I always managed to reason with him enough for him to take the warfarin he needs.

However I went to GP about the rest of the tablets and was told to stop them altogether.

It is so much easier now when he only has two small tablets to take instead of the 6 he had before.

Yes I know some of the tablets he has stopped taking could be lengthening his life but they are not lengthening the quality so I am happy to stop them.

Perhaps a review of whether every tablets is absolutely necessary for your Mum, then if she had less perhaps it would be easier. Jeannette

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have said to mum that she needs the tablets to survive and that it was no skin off of my nose if she didn't take them, it seemed to work, but i didn't like saying it.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Roger's care home had the perfect answer for him ... I supply Ferrero Rocher, and they split it open, put his tablets inside and he takes them. He can't tell the difference apparently between the tablets and the nuts on the outside.

He now believes he doesn't need to take any tablets!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thats a really great idea, but nuts get under mums teeth but she will still eat them. I will have to ask the Dr if its a good idea to crush (or take apart the capsules) of her medication?