taking tablets

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Has any one got any ideas about how to get my Dad to take his tablets? Mum was given this task today at his Home and Dad kept spitting them out. Eventually Mum persuaded him to take them with a gulp of tea. I know sometimes he's been given them in yoghurt but this doesn't always work either.

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Thanks for your suggestion snuffy, my Mum said she will hold back one of his werthers originals today which he really loves, just in case!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, good idea. I used to chatter ninety to the dozen, pop em in, give a quick slurp, (without the slightest let up in the chatter) then ask for her opinion, she had to swallow to answer, worked fairly well most of the time!! :rolleyes: Love She. XX

karen_white

Apr 21, 2004
Berkshire
Some of Dad's tablets have to be crushed up and given to him in food or drink as he mostly refuses to take them. He's a ****** for keeping them in his mouth and then hiding them where ever he can.
Must be careful though as some tablets are slow release and can't be crushed (something that the care home Dad's in have been told off for).
It is very difficult one. Unfortunately no amound of bribery will get dad to take anything when he doesn't want to.
Hope you find something that works.

Best wishes
Karen.x

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear Hazel.I find that when mum is being difficult i push her tablets in a rolo or some other soft sweet she takes them with no problems then.STORM

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
A singing day

Thanks for all your replies. The Home have gone back to the yoghurt method for most of the tablets but not the slow release one (thanks Karen). Mum says Dad's taking them good as gold, (for this week anyway)!

I went to see Dad today and he was singing lots of the words to the old songs. It amazes me how he remembers them yet often doesn't know me. Still, when he doesn't remember my name he calls me 'this young lady' so that's fine by me!