Taking tablets

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
Any tips please on how to get my mum to take her tablets. We have a Tabtime machine that rings when the tablets are due and dispenses the correct dose. I also go to mum and dad's twice a day to try to ensure the takes them but I have found that if I miss a visit, the tablets are left on the bedside or as per today, I have found them in the bin. Also she seems to have found a way to fool me into thinking she has taken them before my very eyes, but then I find them later. She must be slipping them into a pocket or something. Very frustrating. Dad also has Alzheimer's and takes his good as gold, but he is no help whatsoever in getting mum to take hers. Any ideas from anyone who has dealt with this?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If the pills can be crushed, and you would have to check with the chemist first, perhaps they could be put into a spoonful of something sweet that your mother likes.

If your mother is too aware for this, do you think you could take your own tablets with her? I would simply take a vitamin supplement. Then you can say "Let's take our tablets together". It's a stretch, I know.

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
If the pills can be crushed, and you would have to check with the chemist first, perhaps they could be put into a spoonful of something sweet that your mother likes.

If your mother is too aware for this, do you think you could take your own tablets with her? I would simply take a vitamin supplement. Then you can say "Let's take our tablets together". It's a stretch, I know.
Thanks - both good suggestions.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Would you able to get a carer for ’prompt medication’ visits. Not sure how feasible this is for you.

Clairey51

Dec 7, 2021
I agree with taking tablets together it does make such a difference, my mum is never keen on taking her tablets but we have our little routine now of getting the tablets out and getting our drinks ready and I haven't had a problem since.

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
Would you able to get a carer for ’prompt medication’ visits. Not sure how feasible this is for you.
Thanks Izzy, I guess it will get to that stage eventually, though for the time being, I am trying to mainly cope on my own with just two visits from a carer - mainly to clean and cook one evening meal. I have now changed the tablet timer so I can at least get the carer to supervise one of the doses.

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
I agree with taking tablets together it does make such a difference, my mum is never keen on taking her tablets but we have our little routine now of getting the tablets out and getting our drinks ready and I haven't had a problem since.
I am going to give this a go tomorrow!

harrismix

Sep 25, 2022
My suggestion is take the pills out of her house, take them with you when you visit, give her a drink and watch her take them.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Can you not coordinate the carers to be able to give two lots of meds? Most meds aren't really time specific and can be given within a window

Andbreathe

Dec 17, 2021
Uk
Thanks - in the end, I decided to simply supervise tablet-taking both in the morning and evening myself. Mum is now going along with the routine and co-operating with tablet taking, for now... We have a carer one evening and one morning. Otherwise it's me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew