Taking part in pilot project

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Northamptonshire are taking part in a pilot project to constantly assess infection in people being cared for

Harriet wholives at our house went along to take part and sign Fred and me up for it.

Basically she will monitor us for infection by twice weekly checking our pulses, breathing, urine, temp etc.

This innovative approach empowers people and/or their carers to respectively challenge decisions made by health professionals because over time they will know what is ‘normal’ and more importantly, what is ‘abnormal’. It promotes greater understand around the significance of any early warning signs of deterioration, and be able to take early and appropriate action in order to obtain the necessary treatment in a timely fashion with the aim of preventing further deterioration and avoiding the hazards associated with an acute admission to hospital.

Harriet excitedly decided to try it out on me straight away as I have been what I call "random" and quite down

breathing was ok, temp Ok but the urine test showed up as not normal so I rang surgery and they fitted me in within 15 mins for an appointment.

I walked in and GP said "take a seat, how are you?"

I replied I have been feeling RANDOM

He misheard me and said " Gosh I thought you said you were felling RANDY!"

I kept laughing all evening about the look on his face and the way he recoiled back into his chair.

My lovely previous GP would have known immediately what I meant

He has given me a weeks course of anti biotics.

We had a problem with entering my details onto the pilot scheme website and eventually i got hold of the guy who is running the scheme. He said if the only outcome of the pilot project was that i got an infection caught early and that I had made his day

Thought I'd let you know about the project sounds promising!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sarah that sounds great. Something close to my heart. I always know when there's something wrong with Bill even if professionals can't pick it up. Well done.

I wish I'd seen your GP's face though!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That sounds marvellous Sarah.

We are becoming so used to suggesting every `out of sorts` episode may be due to an infection we may be guilty of overlooking them.