1. Scott

Scott Registered User

Nov 27, 2007
    london
    :confused: Now that my mother has dementia I am not sure what forms I need to get (and where from) to take over her affairs and welfare
    CAN ANYONE HELP

2. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Hi Scott

Welcome to Talking Point.

It would help us understand more if you could describe in a bit more detail your Mum's situation, what stage her dementia is at - early, etc, and how she lives at present.

The first thing I would always be suggesting is to get a power of attorney in place, but things have recently changed on that front - Lasting Power of Attorney [LPA] has been introduced in place of the old Enduring Power of Attorney [EPA]. I have no experience of the LPA but you can find information at http://www.publicguardian.gov.uk/forms/forms.htm

It is also always worth calling the Alzheimer's Society Help Line:
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200273

3. Scott

Scott Registered User

Nov 27, 2007
    london
    Taking Over

Hi
    Thanks for the replys. Mum is in a residential home in Harrow which is about 20 mins drive from me, she can only walk with her zimmer frame, is a bit over weight but other wise health is o.k.
    She is in the early stages of dementia but last few times she thought i was her brother. she can tell you if she needs the toilet and can go by herself. Things she can't do is make decisions on welfare and financial affairs. I need to get her state pension into a acount which will help pay the fee for rent , clothes, etc. Pensions and bank will not accept me till i have the right papers.:confused:

4. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    LPA then, do call the Help Line at Alzheimer's Society - or at the Public Guardianship office - to see about it.