Taking on PoA for health

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
A friend has asked me to be the Power of Attorney person for health. i don't have this for my mother. Can anyone tell me what it can be used for, what responsibility I would be taking on, if I agreed to do it?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. The health and welfare LPA can only be used when the donor has either lost capacity or is unable to make their wishes known.
It means docs etc have to discus things with you.
The donor may have their wishes etc re life sustaining treatment on the LPA ,which you have to follow.
You might find this helpful
It covers both LPAs
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=154

I have The health and welfare one for my dad and he is in the process of registering the finance and property one.

TBPH I think it's wise to have both types.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I've got the H&W for my dad. I've registered it with his GP & various consultants.
I spoke to a dementia nurse at one hospital & she told me because I've got it they won't have to apply for a DoL when dad is in hospital.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks Lin and Cat. I have PoA finance for my Mum so I understand the rough principle of how it works, I was just wondering what input I may be called upon to give if the friend's health PoA ever kicked in.
She seems to have the idea that it will mean I help decide on a decent care home. But I thought it would be limited to communicating her wishes re Do Not Resuscitate and medical interventions over which she may have had a choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream