Taking medication

lienelruot

Oct 3, 2014
My wife, who has mixed dementia, is for some reason "unable" to take her daily pills now. She is eating and drinking normally but seems unable to grasp the technique for takiung pills. She says she can,t take them and holds them in her mouth until they dissolve with a foul taste or removes them from her mouth and hides them. Her memory span is about 2 minutes. Can someone guide me please? Have now got most of med in liquid form and can get through with some negotiation!y

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello lienelruot Welcome to Talking Point,

It all depends what she is taking but can the GP prescribe it in liquid form or you could get advice from the pharmacy as some tablets can be crushed up and added to yoghurt or jam or other foods which might make it easier to take, it is only the slow release ones that have to be taken whole I think,

Best Wishes, Jeany x

lienelruot

Oct 3, 2014

It all depends what she is taking but can the GP prescribe it in liquid form or you could get advice from the pharmacy as some tablets can be crushed up and added to yoghurt or jam or other foods which might make it easier to take, it is only the slow release ones that have to be taken whole I think,

Best Wishes, Jeany x

Thanks Jenny. Can't get a firm answer from GP so will see Pharmacist

lienelruot

Oct 3, 2014
medication

Best Wishes, Jeany x

Thanks Jeany. Have now used all your thoughts and most days can complete meds before bed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7