Taking a holiday

Kirstie

Jun 18, 2012
Hi

Im new here. My father has Vascular Dementia and my Mum and i ( but mainly Mum) are his carers.
My mum needs a break and was hoping to go away at Christmas with Dad and myself.
Has anyone on here got and advice or ideas that might help us in deciding if it is possible.

Thank you
Kirstie

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Hi Kirstie, what a nice idea to research a suitable holiday for your parents. There is a factsheet on this: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=158

Many TP members have had holidays with someone with dementia. Many of them have achieved a good / relaxing / memorable time. Some have encountered problems. It so much depends on the circumstances and how far along their dementia journey the person concerned has progressed.

If you feel able to, can you give a bit more detail about what issues you think might be encountered, and you will get advice from others who have dealt with similar issues. The main things I can think of are:
  • a) mobility
  • b) incontinence
  • c) medical conditions
  • d) wandering off
  • e) disorientation in unfamiliar surroundings
  • f) panic and fear, including hallucinations
  • g) whether you plan to travel within the UK, or venture abroad
  • h) travel insurance issues (age, nature of disability).

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Check out Montana sol in torromolinos, small and friendly and gated so no one can wander off.

It takes 16 guests . I ve been 4 times and it's just lovely.

Oh yes english owned and run. You feel like there's a safety net should anything go wrong.

Took mam last year - she was 82 and she had a fab time

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Hi,
I took my wife to Spain for a week earlier this year. We booked through SAGA and specified assistance at the airports. All went well apart from one instance where she tried to go for a walk around the hotel at 3 am in her knickers and vest! Luckily I managed to stop her in time and spent the rest of the nights with a chair wedged against the door handle.
SAGA were very good and helpfull, the trips during the week kept my wife's mind occupied although possibly the week was about 2 days too long. She became agitated after 5 days but we stuck it out.
With regard to insurance, funnily, SAGA would not include my wife on their insurance but I did get cover through Golfguard, albeit with some exclusions.
My thoughts were that if it all turned to rats, we could just get an Easyjet ticket home.
Keith

Kirstie

Jun 18, 2012
Thank you.

Thank you for the replies. The major concerns are the airport and language barrier. My father finds it hard to take things in and answer questions.

Any solutions to make this easier

Kirstie

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thank you for the replies. The major concerns are the airport and language barrier. My father finds it hard to take things in and answer questions.

Any solutions to make this easier

Kirstie

I don't know if these help cards would be any good but it's just a idea, you could get them in different languages if needed or make your own

http://www.dementiawebwarwickshire.org.uk/dementia-helpcards.php

Jeany x

Just found the thread I was thinking about on here

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?43646-Please-be-patient-cards&highlight=dementia+cards

Last edited:

Kirstie

Jun 18, 2012
Hi Katrine
My father has good mobility and no other medical conditions. He can become disorientated but he isnt too bad. Hes 65 and we were looking at a christmas break abroad. Just wondered if it was possible as my mum really needs a break

Kirstie

marthasmum

Nov 28, 2011
worcestershire
Flying to New Zealand

Hi, I am interested in your thread as we ( husband with Alzheimers and I ) are hoping to go to New Zealand for a holiday I am very worried about arranging this trip which is to visit our daughter and family We have been several times before but not in last 2 years since when J has deteriorated slightly He is on Arricept which has helped He is determined that he will be OK but I know that he gets uptight about times ( always worried about getting there on time etc ) and know that we will have to be at the airport hours early etc Can cope with that !
Tha added problem is that he was recently diagnosed and treated for bladder cancer which has left him with some continence problems
Has anyone got any experience or suggestions as I feel if we are going to do this sooner rather than later would be a good idea
I am sorry to start something new but could not find how to post new thread !!!