Taking a break, can't help worrying

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My husband, children and I are going on holiday for 8 days. We will be at most 6 hrs away from home by car. It's our first family holiday in 2 yrs.
My parents live in their own house but behind ours.
Although Dad is there, he doesn't always "care" for Mum so she needs checking up on several times a day, plus I do all her medication.
I have arranged for my parents to go to my sisters, which my Dad will kick up more about than my Mum with early/moderate AD.
There could be 2 or 3 days where Mum & Dad are back in their own house, and although my sister will sort out Mums meds, and phone her daily ( she lives 40 mins away) , and Mum has a medical alarm, I can't help but worry.
My sisters MIL 75yrs has had both legs amputated, in a wheelchair, lives alone and has no medical alarm (her choice) and does fine.
Why do I worry more about Mum? I can only say it's because of the mental confusion and memory loss. She will be wondering where I am, when am I coming back.
Dad is constantly at loggerheads with Mum because of her memory. Mum often pops over to see me when she's upset and agitated.

If there is a next time, I will consider respite care for Mum. It would have to be easier surely?

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
You will be surprised how quickly the time will fly by so please try to relax and enjoy yourselves. My Mum went to my sister and had a totally different stimulus which was good for her. Your dad might behave better with your sister there as she is not the primary carer and will have a different slant on life. You and your family deserve some time and you will return refreshed and ready to face the winter. I do hope you enjoy yourselves.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL