Tablets for Dementia

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
Does anyone know about tablets called Ageless brain? Are they any good? My Mum is on memantine tablets prescribed by the doctor. The tablets I don't think are working. She is just becoming worse now.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Does anyone know about tablets called Ageless brain? Are they any good? My Mum is on memantine tablets prescribed by the doctor. The tablets I don't think are working. She is just becoming worse now.
i would talk to your gp first in case they interact with other meds that your mum may be taking. making a review of the tablets might help.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh dear. I googled this product and the search results were astounding. Google should be ashamed for allowing companies to sell snake oil products such as these. When I actually found some info on this specific product, it's basically a vitamin tablet. However, it claims to have miraculous properties, including: will restore your brain and improve mental focus! Clears your mind and allows you to sleep well! Stops brain shrinkage and age-related decline! Supercharges your brain power to allow clarity throughout the day! It also pays all your debts, sorts out your marital problems, makes you an internet phenomenon, gets you an invite to the Queen's birthday party and no doubt ends all wars and famine too.

How on earth have we managed without this wonder-product till now???

Snake oil.... ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh dear. I googled this product and the search results were astounding. Google should be ashamed for allowing companies to sell snake oil products such as these. When I actually found some info on this specific product, it's basically a vitamin tablet. However, it claims to have miraculous properties, including: will restore your brain and improve mental focus! Clears your mind and allows you to sleep well! Stops brain shrinkage and age-related decline! Supercharges your brain power to allow clarity throughout the day! It also pays all your debts, sorts out your marital problems, makes you an internet phenomenon, gets you an invite to the Queen's birthday party and no doubt ends all wars and famine too.

How on earth have we managed without this wonder-product till now???

Snake oil.... ?
thats why i said ask the gp first and they would have told the OP.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that there isnt anything that will prevent dementia getting worse.
Memantine will slow it down, but not stop it - but these pills wont even do that.
Dont waste your money on alternative medicine

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
Im afraid that there isnt anything that will prevent dementia getting worse.
Memantine will slow it down, but not stop it - but these pills wont even do that.
Dont waste your money on alternative medicine
I came across an email in my inbox last night and it got my attention. It's an American website. It was a doctor from America, prescribing it.

My mental health has been declining over the past few years with issues I have to face with my mum and other things going on. I'm now going through insomnia and I'm always feeling tired and weak. I need to make appointments for my mum at the moment so I'm busy helping her. Maybe I should contact the doctor to see if he can prescribe any stronger medication for her health to improve.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I came across an email in my inbox last night and it got my attention. It's an American website. It was a doctor from America, prescribing it.

My mental health has been declining over the past few years with issues I have to face with my mum and other things going on. I'm now going through insomnia and I'm always feeling tired and weak. I need to make appointments for my mum at the moment so I'm busy helping her. Maybe I should contact the doctor to see if he can prescribe any stronger medication for her health to improve.
Its a scam
Dont do it

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'd never heard of Ageless Brain, so I looked it up. I can see from all the stuff out there on the internet why you might be interested @Nightshade01, as a lot of what is out there sounds credible. However if you check with somewhere like the NHS site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alzheimers-disease/treatment/, you see there is no current cure for Alzheimer's, though some medication that can alleviate symptoms.
I don't know how much time you've got, but I recommend the courses from the Wicking Dementia Centre in Tasmania. I've linked to the Understanding Dementia course https://www.utas.edu.au/wicking/understanding-dementia, but there is also a Preventing Dementia one that is also useful. I found them really helpful at getting my head round what dementia is and what can help.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Maybe I should contact the doctor to see if he can prescribe any stronger medication for her health to improve.
@Nightshade01 There is no “improve”. Dementia only goes one way.

It’s a scam. Don’t be fooled by fake claims. Remember there are almost no legal safeguards in America like there are here. In the UK companies have to prove any claims they make, there’s the Trade Descriptions Act etc etc. In America a company can claim anything they like and get away with it, no proof needed.

Like @Jaded'n'faded said “It also pays all your debts, sorts out your marital problems, makes you an internet phenomenon, gets you an invite to the Queen's birthday party and no doubt ends all wars and famine too.”

If you believe in this type of products, you believe in flying pigs.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
A simple way to look at this @Nightshade01 is, if something is as effective as it is claimed, then it would be in widespread use. As it isn't we can fairly easily conclude that it would be a waste of time and money.

I understand why you want things to be better for your Mum - we all want this for our loved ones - but I am sorry to say that even medicines that are approved for use, such as Memantine, have limited effect and do not stop things getting worse. That is something that we all have to get used to.

Please feel free to ask about this issue or anything else and members of this community will support you as best we can.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Whilst I'll always be the first to cry, 'Snake Oil!' let's not forget there are complimentary therapies that can help. E.g. lavender oil, which seems to have a relaxing/calming effect for some people. Music and art/craft therapy are often use to good effect too. And cats of course... :) (Dogs too I suppose!)

Easing of symptoms does not have to come from a bottle of pills.

I think it's a case of trial and error to see what works for your PWD and makes them feel better that day. Unfortunately dementia will continue relentlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27