Tablet taking!!!!

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Im sure you’ll be able to help me on this.
My OH has recently started being difficult about tablets and in the last few days Im thinking this is because he can’t swallow them.
I think he has forgotten what to do to take a tablet. He takes Anti fit meds and blood thinners which he needs - all his others I don’t care if he takes them. These tablets also say don’t crush ??
How can I help - I’m enquiringly about different forms of tablet but in the meantime has anyone found a good way ?
Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I find that putting them in yoghurt or mousse helped. I know that it says don't crush them but I find that most people don't bite down on yoghurt, they just take a spoonful and swallow it.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Im sure you’ll be able to help me on this.
My OH has recently started being difficult about tablets and in the last few days Im thinking this is because he can’t swallow them.
I think he has forgotten what to do to take a tablet. He takes Anti fit meds and blood thinners which he needs - all his others I don’t care if he takes them. These tablets also say don’t crush ??
How can I help - I’m enquiringly about different forms of tablet but in the meantime has anyone found a good way ?
Thanks
My husband also takes anti fit medication. He kept crunching them so now he has it in liquid form and it can be given with a medicine syringe. You can also get in granules to sprinkle over cereal or yogurt

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
It is not easy getting the medication in liquid form. Think it costs to much. But obviously if the doctor thinks it is necessary then you would get it. I used to crush my husbands tablets and mix in yogurt. He suddenly couldn't understand how to swallow them whole. Not meant to "hide" the medication but it is the only way with sometimes.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad would sift out of his mouth the tiniest piece of hard substance even hidden in food drink or sweets etc...did the same if there was a tiny bit of hard food yet if he took his tablets would chew...quite bizarre. So eventually in his NH we all agreed that in an ideal world he would swallow his tablets whole...I understood his tablets needed to be slow release to be most effective and apparently a sudden surge of drug could overdose...but being pragmatic better he had the drugs chewed than not at all. Some days he refused many times but usually trying later we were successful.None of his important drugs were available in liquid form so not even the GP refusing.

therese

Jan 6, 2016
gloucestershire
I am new to this site so forgive me if I make a boob! My oh has had Alzheimer's 8 years and I, like you, cut out the non-essential tablets when this started to occur. I find that it just depends on his mood on the day - if he is showing signs of negativity I don't even put them on the breakfast table but give them to him one by one during the morning. Bit of a drag but it works for him.