T o diagnose or not

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
If there are two people in a property and one is disregarded, council tax reduces to 75%.

I read somewhere on here some can get reduction down to 50% in some situations but don't know what they are.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, I've never understood why it only reduces by 25%. If you have two people, surely they shared it 50/50 before. What are they supposed to do once the 25% is taken off - divide the rest 50/50 or have the non-disregarded person stump up for the entire 75%?

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Attendance Allowance isn't means tested. I got higher rate for my mother and lower rate for my husband while I was still working full time as a headteacher. My mum passed away but my husband is now on higher rate. It really is worth going for that.

It is based on the level of need the person has.

Just looked on website...think I get the PIP for OH instead of Attendance Allowance as he's not yet 65? Does it then get swapped over?

So glad it's Friday.....wrapping granddaughter's birthday presents then going to look for that cold glass.....

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
To be honest, I've never understood why it only reduces by 25%. If you have two people, surely they shared it 50/50 before. What are they supposed to do once the 25% is taken off - divide the rest 50/50 or have the non-disregarded person stump up for the entire 75%?

I agree I always got 25% off as I live alone, now I get 100%:(:) I wish I still only had need of getting 25% though:(

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I read somewhere on here some can get reduction down to 50% in some situations but don't know what they are.

My son is a disabled adult, my partner earns a good salary and works full-time but because my son has higher needs and qualifies for high rate DLA and the mobility component (a life-long qualification but nevertheless WILL be reviewed in 2015 under the Coallition Government rules) OUR local council, Durham County Council, took into consideration the fact that my partner is classed as a 2nd carer due to the intensity of care required and consequently we have a 50% reduction on our council tax bill.

Like Sue, I would rather no-one in the household qualified for a rebate.

Tinkerbelle258

Nov 13, 2012
N E Lincolnshire
Like Sue, I would rather no-one in the household qualified for a rebate.[/QUOTE]

I know just how you feel. I didn't apply for AA for a year after OH was diagnosed. When I did, I got it quickly and easily which should have pleased me but it just made me so, so sad that things were so bad that we qualified for it. Recently, the local Parkinsons Area Support manager arranged a visit by the DWP and the higher rate has been applied for. We are awaiting the outcome. Don't get me wrong, the extra money is more than welcome but it all just seems like another nail in the coffin.

Last edited: