Swollen face

Vivienne3

Jan 25, 2010
Cheshire
Has anyone had any experience of your loved ones face swelling? I visited today and he had swollen eyes and face but did not appear to have a temperature. He is 54 and middle/late stages so still walks a lot. There haven't been any near drugs that I know of. The home don't seem too concerned but everything is worrying, isn't it? Thought it was worth asking.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
I would plump for 2 options ... Abscessed tooth or allergic reaction. Although the swelling from an abscess is localised if it is, say, a front tooth it can affect the whole face. If it is an allergy you would expect the reaction to go down relatively quickly.

I would keep an eye on things so that proper treatment can be given if things don't improve.

Fiona

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport
I would plump for 2 options ... Abscessed tooth or allergic reaction. Although the swelling from an abscess is localised if it is, say, a front tooth it can affect the whole face. If it is an allergy you would expect the reaction to go down relatively quickly.

I would keep an eye on things so that proper treatment can be given if things don't improve.

Fiona

i agree with this , since being a carework and oddly a pest controller it sounds like a allergy reaction. which have come across on both jobs. may be worth having an allergy test if this is the case, like ive had myself. keep an eye on him

Last edited:

Vivienne3

Jan 25, 2010
Cheshire
Thanks for the replies and advice. I will speak to the medical staff again. I don't want to appear to be nagging about something silly. X

Somerset1963

Mar 30, 2013
Somerset
Hmmm I also think I would co sider an allergy. My friends face swells up when she is near daffodils. I hope your husband isnt suffering. Perhaps a simple antihistamine is needed. I hope it isnt anything serious.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
They haven't changed meds? I looked like a hamster when I was put on steroids last year-and had a hive like rash reaction. Didn't happen straight away; can be once the drugs have built up in the body. Hope it's better soon.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Vivienne, hi
How mobile is he during the night? My hubby often has swollen face, hands, legs, etc, because of fluid build up during the night, he doesn't move at all when he's in bed and unless there is an actual worry of pressure soars then he isn't moved. His left hand side is the most prone because of the way he lies, last week his eye was very swollen and his face around it, it's gone now ....

We worry, oh how I worry but I am not rushing to ask for help as hubby is fine in himself and I don't want any intervention that might mean medication and therefore the worry of side effects or non compliance, oola dementia!!!
With kind regards from Jo

Vivienne3

Jan 25, 2010
Cheshire
Thank you for all your ideas. His medication hasn't been changed. Not sure whether he moves at lot at night but is very active in the day as he is still a 'walker'. The swelling has gone down now but he is grinding his teeth a lot yesterday. I have felt round his mouth and he didn't wince and his breath is ok so doubt whether it is tooth ache. The staff say it could be sinuses as he is sniffly. They are watching him now and I will go again today. He hasn't been sleeping well. Hopefully he will settle. It is the problem of not being able to tell us and it is at times like this you could have that 10 mins of clarity. Thanks for your ideas I have dropped them 'casually' into conversations when I am at the home.

Adrien01

Apr 2, 2013
Well I also has the same problem as you are explaining....and my doctor said it happens to over sleep or some kind of reaction of drugs which I was taking those days... But I was fine in few hours.