Switching energy suppliers LPA

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Has anyone switched energy suppliers for somebody with dementia,the people mums with at the moment deal with me as I have LPA,I want to leave them and was just about to do a switch and the online form asks for the name of account holder so I don't know if I should put my name that's on the attorney debit card or my mums name as the customer,I haven't had to start anything new like this before so I'm not sure what to do,has anyone else had to do this?

Maybe I should just set it up in my mums name but will have to give my name as the name on the card when it comes to the billing details,then send off a copy of the LPA when it has all been set up

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Your Mum is the account holder but I would try and speak with them on the phone - they might need to see a certified copy of the LPA.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
They said set it up and then send the LPA,I'm glad I looked at it,I have to pay an exit fee of £30 for each fuel from my old supplier but we will still be £250 cheaper a year even after paying for that,I've found one at a good price with 12 months fixed and no exit fees,at least I have done it before it gets cold,I will be more careful next year

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Just got to the payment details on application form so do I put my name on bank account name,my name is on the debit card the statements I get sent say Mr Joe bloggs as attorney for Mrs Mary Bloggs

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I have scanned my mothers certified LPA into my lap top so it was easy to email the relevant pages to the energy provider when I switched mums account.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Yes, it's still your Mum's bank account, you're only managing it.
Yes it's her account and her funds,I was just worried about the computers takling to each other and seeing my name was on the card and not matching up when the direct debit was being processed,it's just me over worrying I'm sure.It's the first time I've had to do this,it's been a bit of a pain though the process started yesterday and she wont be a customer until the 3rd of September but they still take a months direct debit on the 25th August,and then there willl be a months money going out to the old supplier until that's all sorted and £60 to be paid for as we are leaving the contract early,I feel like cancelling it all
I had to ring them to ask a few things but was aware they couldnt speak to me as I wasn't the account holder so I explained and said I have a few generic questions that could relate to any account but he still asked to speak to my mum she just about managed to say that I could speak to them but her voice would have sounded strange on the phone and the man laughed,he then said ask her to give me her address and date of birth,I said to him,I've already explained the situation to you and that my mother wouldn't be able to do that

Last edited: