Sweets

sonia owen

Hi All,
Happy New Year.

I was given a tub of sweets for Xmas. The kinds I had when I was a little girl. It did make me laugh, looking through them all, a kind of memory lane for me.
I can't eat them, as I suffer with glucose intolerance.
I was thinking of taking them and giving them to our local AS, to use and maybe it will bring a few smiles, to some of the suffers.
Just a thought.
Take care.
Love Sonia xxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a good idea. I have about 6 bug boxes of chocolates I got when I retired. I think I might take them to Bill's Alzheiner Scotland centre next week. Out of sight out of mind!

sarahg

Oct 11, 2012
I was literally just thinking what to do with all my christmas chocolate when I saw this, what a great idea!

sonia owen

Hi,
I gave my old fashioned sweets to the day centre where my mum goes every week. They can use them as a memory aid, and then put them into a raffle if they chose to.

I gave a box of chocolates to a committee member, at the sheltered place where my mum lives, to use in their next fund raising event that they have. I wanted to do this, as they invited me to go along with mum for their Xmas dinner. I asked what payment I had to give. They would not let me give anything towards the cost. Giving the sweets was my way of doing something.
Love Sonia xxxxx

sarahg

Oct 11, 2012
Hi,
I gave my old fashioned sweets to the day centre where my mum goes every week. They can use them as a memory aid, and then put them into a raffle if they chose to.

Brilliant idea with regards to the old fashioned sweets, I might mention to this to the ward I volunteer on. Do you happen to know where they came from?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Last edited:

sonia owen

Hi Jeany123,

I have just had a look at the old fashioned sweet link that you mention. Loved them as they do the sweets in differant years. I think they are cheaper than the ones I had for Xmas. Mine came from gifts that are personal. The jar had Sonia's sweets on. My son and family from Sydney got them for me for Xmas on line. They gave my hubby a bottle of red wine with his name on the front.

I am sure people with memory problems will enjoy looking at them, as much as I did. It made me laugh.
Love Sonia xxxxx

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Yep, the sweet shop on the way to school, I think she did a bomb in sales.. wish I could remember the name of the shop, but it escapes me.. lovely little old lady :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yep, the sweet shop on the way to school, I think she did a bomb in sales.. wish I could remember the name of the shop, but it escapes me.. lovely little old lady :)

Ours was called Burdons, it had a little old lady serving as well, they had halfpenny, penny and twopenny trays we could take our time to spend our pennies and choose what we wanted we were never hurried, oh the joys of liquorice root, sticks of liquorice, penny chews, lollies, sherbert dabs and gob stoppers that changed colours as you sucked and could be put back in the bag halfsucked when you were in school and took out and finished on the way home, happy times :)