1. exhausted 2015

exhausted 2015 Registered User

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hi all, in need of a bit of information please about swallowing, I know that this can be a problem with dementia sufferers.. But does this happen gradually? it's just that these last couple of months my dad has been saying that is throat is cracking when he says this I normally give him a sweet to suck, he his still eating small meals which have to be mashed and it does take him a while to eat it.. I was wondering if this could be the start of swallowing problems.. Thank you exhausted 2015 xx

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Have you ruled out a sore throat or mouth ulcer? if he wears dentures, do they still fit?

3. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hi tin dad is toothless, he does not complain about his mouth just his throat and keeps tugging at it xx

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Have him assessed by the SALT team (speech and language therapy). They deal with swallowing problems.

5. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Hi beatie thank you.. Do I do this via his gp xx

6. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
  7. exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
    Female
    stoke on trent
    Thanks again for the help.. This site is becoming my crutch xx

8. Eviejt

Eviejt Registered User

Dec 2, 2014
    My uncle is having difficulties eating, saying the food won't go down and the sensation of needing to "get it out" resulting in wretching and induced vomiting. He also holds fluids and swishes it before swallowing, he has less trouble with sweet food and icecream though.

Can this happen at any stage as although forgetful and confused is still quite physically independent at the moment, still washing and dressing with a bit of prompting.