Swallowing pills

hmtw

Nov 7, 2015
Mum has been given antibiotic tablets for a chest infection. She is not having any problems with eating or swallowing generally, but we can NOT get her to swallow the tablets. At the start of the course it was ok. But now no matter what we try it ends up still in her mouth or spat out. Any tips? Next time we'll ask for liquid form!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I would contact the GP as soon as possible and ask for an AB solution or dispersible tablets. My husband is the same. He is on dispersible doxycycline just now. It just dissolves in a little water. In the interim it would be a good idea to phone a pharmacy and ask if the ones you have can be crushed.

My husband will swallow tablets that can't be crushed if they are in yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries! They seem to slide down.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi hmtw, welcome to Talking Point, pill taking can be a problem for many, add dementia into the mix and the problem soon turns to worry;)as nitram and izzy have said,many can be crushed or given in liquid form.
Chris

hmtw

Nov 7, 2015
I would contact the GP as soon as possible and ask for an AB solution or dispersible tablets. My husband is the same. He is on dispersible doxycycline just now. It just dissolves in a little water. In the interim it would be a good idea to phone a pharmacy and ask if the ones you have can be crushed.

My husband will swallow tablets that can't be crushed if they are in yoghurt with raspberries and blueberries! They seem to slide down.

Hi Izzy - good tip on the yoghurt, managed to get one down that way before she cottoned on and then went to mixing the capsule contents in with some yoghurt. Thanks!

hmtw

Nov 7, 2015
Hi hmtw, welcome to Talking Point, pill taking can be a problem for many, add dementia into the mix and the problem soon turns to worry;)as nitram and izzy have said,many can be crushed or given in liquid form.
Chris

Thanks Chris. Course finished so problem resolved for now :)