Swallowing difficulty

phf

Apr 9, 2020
My 91 yr old mum has dementia and yesterday found it difficult to swallow food, and coughs when trying to eat. I have read that this can be one of the symptoms, does anyone know if there is any help for this ?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @phf
I’d contact the GP & ask for a SALT assessment. In the meantime try giving softer foods like stews & rice pudding.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

phf

Apr 9, 2020
Thank you. Yes we had SALT involvement a while ago when mum was having difficulty even with drinking, she was prescribed a thickener for drinks, which helped. She also has vitamin drinks which she doesn't like, although the carers try to get her to drink them. I'm just concerned that she will waste away!
With the lockdown I can't see her and as she is very hard of hearing cant hear me on phone, so worrying.

phf

Apr 9, 2020
Hi the carers tried everything to get my mum to drink and eat - she was able to take a little liquid. After a couple of days she started to refuse everything and would not take her medication. Obviously this was worrying and as I said before that because of 'lockdown' I couldn't see her. I spoke to the doctor and he visited her on 14th April, checked her over and although she didn't respond all vitals were ok.
The carers were concerned and rang me on 15th and said it was important that I go to see her - which I did luckily, as she died on 16th I had a call from nurse (who was there to do dressings) to tell me. This was awful as she was on her own at the time. Now I feel guilty because I hadn't seen her. I also did not realise that a person could die from Alzheimer's which was on her certificate,
I seem to have gone on a bit here - sorry.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I'm very sorry to hear of your mum's passing and send my condolence to you and your family.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @phf , my mum died of Alzheimers too

Do not worry too much that she was on her own. I stayed with mum for the last 3 days of her life, but had to go back home to check on OH and by the time I had got home mum had passed away - I got a call from her care home. I was very upset, but one of the older, very experienced carers said to me that she had seen this many times - often they wait till they are on their own before passing, sometimes waiting till the person with them just pops out to the loo.

You got to see her the day before and say goodbye. She is at peace now - try to find some peace for yourself too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC