Suspected covid19 in care home

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Mums care home called today to let us know there is a case of suspected coved 19 in her care home. All residents have to be kept in their own rooms for fourteen days. The person with symptoms has not been tested and as far as I can see from the guidelines here in Scotland won’t be tested unless more suspected cases arise in the home. Mum is mobile and used to being able to wander about though does spend a fair amount of time asleep in a chair. At the moment she is a bit under the weather with a suspected uti so thankfully sleeping more any way. The resident who has symptoms is pretty much confined to their own room and not mobile. I have so many questions in my mind right now Including Why can’t they test the person with symptoms rather than isolate all these vulnerable residents for two weeks. This seems cruel When they have already lost family visits. How did the virus get into the home? They have been in lockdown for almost two weeks with only staff able to enter. Does this mean they have an asymptomatic member of staff who has brought it in, and due to the lack of testing could be spreading it about the building? Surely everyone living there should be tested? Should the person with symptoms get worse there are no plans to take that person to hospital to treat them. The care home may get support from GPS and community services but there will be no oxygen and ventilators in intensive care for my Mum and her fellow residents, nor indeed for yours should you find yourselves in a similar position. Frankly it seems they are prepared to throw pwd under the bus and give resources to others. This is to me morally wrong. Surely treatment should be based on clinical prognosis and not age and illness, unless that is relevant? Would be interested to know what others think. Feeling angry upset and scared tonight.

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
@Emac I am not surprised you feel angry, upset ans scared.

I think your news is what all of us with loved ones in a Carehome are dreading to hear.
I dont know what the criteria for testing is, but I believe all frontline NHS staff are first in line, then carers will be next but, I would have thought , in the circumstances that a resident in a carehome would be a priority for testing too.

I know at mums Carehome that they are not sending anyone to hospital so matter what is wrong with them during this crisis. I can see the reasoning behind this, but, what if they fall and have a serious fracture? are they going to be left immobilised and in pain until the crisis is over?

I am so sorry you have this worry ,

brambles x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh @Emac so hard to hear such news
I can only send you best wishes and hope that your mum stays well, also the other residents and staff and all family members concerned

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
This is awful news for you and so unsettling for the care home residents.

There is a care home in Sydney where a staff member developed Covid19 but this was not detected until after residents had been in contact with this person. Sadly four of the residents have now died from the disease. I cannot believe that they won't test the suspected case. It is sending a very odd message. And surely the staff too are being placed at increased risk.

Jean Ashurst

Mar 30, 2020
Mums care home called today to let us know there is a case of suspected coved 19 in her care home. All residents have to be kept in their own rooms for fourteen days. The person with symptoms has not been tested and as far as I can see from the guidelines here in Scotland won’t be tested unless more suspected cases arise in the home. Mum is mobile and used to being able to wander about though does spend a fair amount of time asleep in a chair. At the moment she is a bit under the weather with a suspected uti so thankfully sleeping more any way. The resident who has symptoms is pretty much confined to their own room and not mobile. I have so many questions in my mind right now Including Why can’t they test the person with symptoms rather than isolate all these vulnerable residents for two weeks. This seems cruel When they have already lost family visits. How did the virus get into the home? They have been in lockdown for almost two weeks with only staff able to enter. Does this mean they have an asymptomatic member of staff who has brought it in, and due to the lack of testing could be spreading it about the building? Surely everyone living there should be tested? Should the person with symptoms get worse there are no plans to take that person to hospital to treat them. The care home may get support from GPS and community services but there will be no oxygen and ventilators in intensive care for my Mum and her fellow residents, nor indeed for yours should you find yourselves in a similar position. Frankly it seems they are prepared to throw pwd under the bus and give resources to others. This is to me morally wrong. Surely treatment should be based on clinical prognosis and not age and illness, unless that is relevant? Would be interested to know what others think. Feeling angry upset and scared tonight.
My husband is in a care home and has been unable to have visitors for 16 days now, don't know what I would do if this happened to his home. Good luck.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
@Emac I am not surprised you feel angry, upset ans scared.

I think your news is what all of us with loved ones in a Carehome are dreading to hear.
I dont know what the criteria for testing is, but I believe all frontline NHS staff are first in line, then carers will be next but, I would have thought , in the circumstances that a resident in a carehome would be a priority for testing too.

I know at mums Carehome that they are not sending anyone to hospital so matter what is wrong with them during this crisis. I can see the reasoning behind this, but, what if they fall and have a serious fracture? are they going to be left immobilised and in pain until the crisis is over?

I am so sorry you have this worry ,

brambles x
I adnt thought of that brambles! I think an emergency would have to be dealt with but ho knows? These are very strange times.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Thank you for all your replies and kind words. It helps that those who use this forum have similar concerns about their own relatives. Hoping all of you and your loved ones stay safe. X

Suzy C

Sep 16, 2019
I do so feel for you, it is heartbreaking and so, so worrying. My husband is in care home and now i have heard that they are all isolated in their rooms as some have temperatures and some are coughing (which is normal in a home) and i know he will hate this, it is bad enough that i cannot see him and now i can't speak with him as the phone signal won't reach to his room. I hate all this not knowing how he is and what is happening. That's the worst of it isn't it? Not knowing how they are and what is happening and even if they are safe now how long will it continue with carers coming in and out the risk increases all the time.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27