Surprise charges after 6 weeks respite?

MichYvonne

Jul 28, 2021
Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise me please. My mum was in 6 week respite care but the carehome said they were unable to meet my mums needs after this, but later told me that under ‘duty of care’ they can’t put her out on the street but will continue to look after her until a care package is found elsewhere. Two weeks later a care home was found and accepted even though the new carehome said the SW did not inform them of wanting the room so another delayed week. Now my mum has been in this carehome for 3 weeks and is a self funder for about two months, the SW informed me today that I may have to pay the charges for the overlap in the previous carehome. I pointed out that no-one had informed me of this extra charge and if they did I may have taken a different action. Do I have a argument here or are they within their rights to charge me?

MichYvonne

Jul 28, 2021
Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise me please. My mum was in 6 week respite care but the carehome said they were unable to meet my mums needs after this, but later told me that under ‘duty of care’ they can’t put her out on the street but will continue to look after her until a care package is found elsewhere. Two weeks later a care home was found and accepted even though the new carehome said the SW did not inform them of wanting the room so another delayed week. Now my mum has been in this carehome for 3 weeks and is a self funder for about two months, the SW informed me today that I may have to pay the charges for the overlap in the previous carehome. I pointed out that no-one had informed me of this extra charge and if they did I may have taken a different action. Do I have a argument here or are they within their rights to charge me?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do not know the answer to this @MichYvonne and suggest you contact the Helpline.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
was the original respite free or charged? where did she live before she went into respite. Presumably you knew the respite period had ended ( with the comment about not putting her out on the streets)

MichYvonne

Jul 28, 2021
was the original respite free or charged? where did she live before she went into respite. Presumably you knew the respite period had ended ( with the comment about not putting her out on the streets)
It was. They said a week before it ended that they couldn’t keep my mum. I started to panic and wondered what they would do with mum as she couldn’t come home and that’s when they said to me about the duty of care and a care package needed so not to worry. At no point did they say that a charge of £1200 per week would needed to be paid thereafter. I would have had a choice of either taking her home (not ideal) or putting her into the first care home that offered her a place which was appalling so rock and a hard place really.

MichYvonne

Jul 28, 2021
It was. They said a week before it ended that they couldn’t keep my mum. I started to panic and wondered what they would do with mum as she couldn’t come home and that’s when they said to me about the duty of care and a care package needed so not to worry. At no point did they say that a charge of £1200 per week would needed to be paid thereafter. I would have had a choice of either taking her home (not ideal) or putting her into the first care home that offered her a place which was appalling so rock and a hard place really.
Also she was in rehabilitation following a stroke beforehand.