Surf you way to health!

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Just watching the BBC news and another surprising medical breakthrough! Kids with mental problems, like depression benefit from going off and spending their time surfing! Amazing!

Wouldn't everyone benefit and going off and doing something different... maybe not surfing, but singing, painting, writing, going for a walk in the park!? Does this sound familiar?

I have a question about those kids.... what happens when they are not surfing? :confused:

I'm a big believer in doing things different in your life. Changing the humdrum and stimulating the old grey cells into action. I used to teach and although for me this was the best job in the World, there were days that I was bored out of my skull! I'm sure everyone know this feeling, but how many people do anything about it!? It is my belief that if you don't change things and continue is the constant drudgery, you brain start to power down switch off and settles to just do the minimum it can.

I think mental health problems being solved by a quick fix may work for some, but if we all started surfing our brains everyday, introducing new things to think about. This would force our brains to re-energise and be forced to be forced work and not slumber. As a way to maintain one of the main function of our brains, I think daily activities, away from the daily grind, would build those new connections and stimulate the regrowth of brain cells. That has got to be good, hasn't it!?

How many people do the same thing, day in and day out!?

Everyday I write, mainly dribble, but it's my dribble, I paint, or draw, I try juggling, I do some handwriting, I can no longer use my right hand, I go in the garden and trying and name the weeds, I listen to music, I do some memory training, I play the ukulele, or try and I come on here and see what is happening!

I don't do much singing... my neighbour's and Finn complain! They got no taste!

I do everything I can to keep my brain working, if I become bored I start something new... I'll try anything as long as it stops me from sitting here letting my brain... atrophy, because when I do, I think of only one thing... my dementia.

So get creative now... and help your brain help itself!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I just have to say that I agree with your post @Richard and Fin.

I'm a carer for my wife, who has dementia, and I constantly encourage her to be both physically and mentally active but lately have encountered a lot of resistance from her.

Just two weeks ago my son, who is a micro biologist, tried to encourage my wife to co-operate with me by telling her exactly this "if you don't change things and continue is the constant drudgery, you brain start to power down switch off and settles to just do the minimum it can".

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just watching the BBC news and another surprising medical breakthrough! Kids with mental problems, like depression benefit from going off and spending their time surfing! Amazing!

Wouldn't everyone benefit and going off and doing something different... maybe not surfing, but singing, painting, writing, going for a walk in the park!? Does this sound familiar?

I have a question about those kids.... what happens when they are not surfing? :confused:

I'm a big believer in doing things different in your life. Changing the humdrum and stimulating the old grey cells into action. I used to teach and although for me this was the best job in the World, there were days that I was bored out of my skull! I'm sure everyone know this feeling, but how many people do anything about it!? It is my belief that if you don't change things and continue is the constant drudgery, you brain start to power down switch off and settles to just do the minimum it can.

I think mental health problems being solved by a quick fix may work for some, but if we all started surfing our brains everyday, introducing new things to think about. This would force our brains to re-energise and be forced to be forced work and not slumber. As a way to maintain one of the main function of our brains, I think daily activities, away from the daily grind, would build those new connections and stimulate the regrowth of brain cells. That has got to be good, hasn't it!?

How many people do the same thing, day in and day out!?

Everyday I write, mainly dribble, but it's my dribble, I paint, or draw, I try juggling, I do some handwriting, I can no longer use my right hand, I go in the garden and trying and name the weeds, I listen to music, I do some memory training, I play the ukulele, or try and I come on here and see what is happening!

I don't do much singing... my neighbour's and Finn complain! They got no taste!

I do everything I can to keep my brain working, if I become bored I start something new... I'll try anything as long as it stops me from sitting here letting my brain... atrophy, because when I do, I think of only one thing... my dementia.

So get creative now... and help your brain help itself!
Great advice. I have always believed that stepping out of our comfort zones is just the best thing you can do for yourself. It doesn't matter how you go about it, just do it. Even going for a walk somewhere you have never been before can be a revelation.

I don't get to do much apart from caring these days but I live near a cemetery and I try and walk in a different part when I walk the dog and it is amazing what little gems of local history I find. I have a few little favorite graves that I revisit occasionally and I know a few people think this is a bit odd but amongst the sad things there are some delightful stories waiting to be found in the old stones.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
HI both and thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I often have my son, or daughter, trying to get me interested in this, or that, and suggest all sorts of things. I know they are only doing it for me, but sometimes... I just want to say... really!:eek:

I have to be involved in it and usually it has to be me that starts it. I have noticed and others noticed too, that I'm becoming self centred... me, me, me.. Just like a kid again! I know this is happing, but I can not stop it and this makes me even worse!

Old Stones... yes.. sounds good to me! Doesn't matter what it is as long as you thinking a bit!

I found that I stop and get really engrossed in looking at something.. a flower, the bark, or even the sky.... I have no idea why! :rolleyes: