Supporting someone at a distance

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by dolfm, Mar 5, 2015.

1. dolfm

dolfm Registered User

Jan 6, 2015
    My younger brother was diagnosed recently with early onset Alzheimer's. As he lives in Holland and I live in the UK I cannot do any personal caring for him but I wonder whether anyone can advise me on how I may best support him at a distance. Thank you.

2. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Does he have family with him to do the day-to-day stuff? The bill-paying, the shopping, the taking to appointments?
    Otherwise you'll be doing the bill-paying from a distance, shuffling back and forth to fight fires and generally marshalling his friends (if willing) to fill in gaps.
    Emotional support, too, of course. Listen. Support his partner/children (if there.) Listen to them. Never give advice to them. Everyone gives advice; hardly anyone listens.

3. supertrooper

supertrooper Registered User

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi Dolfm

I think it's good to talk, is your brother on the internet? It sounds a bit cliche but sometimes just being there is enough.