support groups for carers

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
I wondered if anyone attends support groups and if you find that they help. Thank you. I am finding this forum very supportive too. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's a pity that this site can't have a chatroom where we can talk live. In spite of their dubious reputation I belong to one for canal boat owners that works fine, however, I guess the levels of emotion and the opportunity for exploiting this mean is isn't possible. I tried a support group some years ago when it was my mother and it didn't work for me, however, now It's my wife I may give it another go. I'm sure they vary dramatically so definitely give it a try, it may work for you. Good luck I hope it does.
K

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
This group is helping me as much as I can help others.
I wish I had discovered it 13 years ago...
I have since lost my Mom and then I am a full time carer for people with mental illnesses
The group is very supportive and warm.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
We went to the Alzheimer's Society's 'cafes' which were either coffee mornings, pub lunches or just general meetings. They were open to both sufferers and carers. I took my husband along with me and we met many others in similar situations. Some have become great friends even though some of our partners are no longer with us.

To find out ring your local branch - you can find them here. Put in your postcode on the right hand side. Do not be put off if they seem along way away as they normally cover a wide area.

Also get in touch with Age UK, Crossroads or Admiral Nurses - whichever are near to you.

Let us know how you get along and whether they are worthwhile to you.
Best wishes

Margaret1

Nov 6, 2012
Herts
I wondered if anyone attends support groups and if you find that they help. Thank you. I am finding this forum very supportive too. Thank you

I have belonged to an Alzheimer's Society support group for about a year. We meet once a month, often with guest speakers, but also time to talk about our own situations. I have found it a great help, although it took a while for me to feel I fitted in. So I would say find out what is available in your area, try it out and persevere until you feel at home in the group.
Good luck!:)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The careers association have meetings for careers and of course their cared for are very welcome to attend. Our local ones meet once a month and we have lunch, speakers, quizzes and entertainment. They really are good.