Support group for mum (carer) of a husband with Alzheimer's in Italy

CasaMargherita

Feb 23, 2021
Hi, I have just signed up as a way to try and find resources for my mum. My step dad was diagnosed less that a year ago with Alzheimer's and he is declining extremely rapidly. She has home help now but the biggest concern I have for her right now is her mental state. They live on a mountain in Italy and she is very isolated. There are no support groups locally, the Italian system isn't as advanced as here in the UK. She feels so alone as she doesn't know anyone else dealing with this issue. She really needs to be able to connect with other spouses to discuss, share, commiserate and generally talk to. Her primary language is English so if there is some sort of online group for chat she can join it would be so great to know about. A web chat forum like this might be tricky for her (she's 75). She really needs that human connection of speaking to people. I was hoping that in the age of covid maybe some support groups that previously met in person may have gone online that she could join? Any advice extremely welcome.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @CasaMargherita

Ak your mum to register here. We are a very supportive and friendly group and have time for everyone. I`m sure she will feel at home with us.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @CasaMargherita

I agree with @Grannie G and think your mum would find lots of support here. We have several members in a similar position to her who are isolated for one reason or another. We even have a member from Italy who posts regularly. I hope your mum will join us.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @CasaMargherita
a warm welcome from me too
might you add Italy as the location on your profile, as members will then see it immediately, each time you post .. I appreciate you are not in Italy, but members will be alerted that that's the country any specific suggestions need to be linked to

your mum may surprise you and be able to pick up how to use the technology and the forums here, I hope so