support for mum

schulzy

May 6, 2015
Essex/Suffolk border
My mother is 80 and insists on caring for my father at home. His dementia has made him very insecure/ anxious and he follows her around everywhere even banging on the door of the toilet. My brother and I do what we can to try and give her some respite from this but it's not enough. Does anyone know of or have used volunteers who would come and sit with dad for a couple of hours so mum could do something for herself. We tried a local day centre but after 3 visits dad was asked to leave as they didn't have enough staff to keep and eye on him and stop him from leaving to look for mum.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello you and welcome :) I get 3 hours a week from Crossroads , a charity free of charge ! It enables me to go to the gym and have coffee with a friend. Don't know which area you are in but you could have a look if Crossroads are within your post code

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
we are having a meeting with an assesser from Age UK for a sitter for my MIL who has VD . We can have 2 hrs a week or 3X 3 hrs a month . if we want more its £17/hr. We have been looking after MIL fir 21/2 yrs and lives with us .we tried the volunteer service I northants but they never got back to me after 3 calls so trying Age uK lady sounded very nice. Wewere told crossroads has changed its name.

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
We used the Age UK befriending service for my mother before she moved into a care home. We did have to pay (I think about £17 per hour as mentioned) but they were really superb.