Supermarket stop couples shopping

Ferrit44

Apr 1, 2020
Liverpool
Hi, All major supermarkets are stopping couples from shopping, This a major concern for people like myself who can’t leave their partner by themselves at home, there seems to be no thought on the part of the retailer to give consideration to the needs of Dementia carers unlike the consideration for the physical disabled

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s difficult I know @Ferrit44 but I suppose the supermarkets are trying to reduce the footfall. Do you think having a word with those who are organising the public entering and exiting the stores might help?

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Perfectly understandable measure by retailers to improve throughput, minimise queues & frustration, and of course to improve social distancing. Also discourages loitering and chatting. :) But if Mum was still coming shopping with me, I'd ring the store and ask their advice. Exceptions are, I'm sure, entirely possible.

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
My local Sainsbury's are doing the same, but they're almost certain to make exceptions; they did for me with my mum.

If you give the store a ring, like Andrew suggests, it'll probably be no problem.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Ferrit44 . My daughter works in a shop and has explained the reason for this is the one in one out policy to achieve social distancing and reduce the length of the queues. Maybe ring the supermarket and ask them when it’s likely to be quieter so easier to accommodate couples.

My daughter and I went for a walk on Sunday and at about 3 and were both allowed into ALDI on the way back as it was quiet. I fully expected to have to leave my daughter outside while I shopped.