Sunshine and Dementia

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
Up here in Scotland we have had FANTASTIC WEATHER! Of Heatwave proportions ltho starting to cool now...

The Thing since that weather started...

Apart from the "Usual" and some minor dementia moments my mum has been great and i have noticed it started when this weather started.

Anyone noticed the same with a loved one??.

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
Sunshine Therapy

Yes, My Mum has been the same.
We have been able to do more outdoor activities, so she has slept better at night due to the the fresh air, despite the heat.

I wonder if the increase in Vitamin E from the sunshine is a factor? also that I have had no problem getting her to drink plenty of water/tea/ juice / ice lollys.

Or is it simply she hasn't had a minute to be "bored".

I prescribe sunny warm weather for ever

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Sunshine stimulates the body to produce vitamin D. However, very few people have a D deficiency because you only need quite short exposures to produce enough of it (in fact you produce a surplus in the summer, which is stored in fat cells, for use in the winter) but also because foods such as bread and cereal are fortified with it.

For many people bright sunshine is a mood enhancer so that coul dbe what is at work here

I am just the opposite I hate this hot weather and long for the short, cold days of winter!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
At last someone else who (like me) prefers the ice, snow and cold :)
Apart from the diahorrea mum seems to have developed the summer (we never usually get in Scotland) has been good for mum, in saying that she has been a bit more confused at night but that could have been a pre cursor to her becoming ill and she has a UTI that's being treated. I think the weather is affecting those without Dementia more than those with?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I don't like this stifling weather either. In bournemouth the temp has been between 27/30C. The CH manager, where Pete is, says all of the residents are tetchy even though they have loads of fans on the go.

Pete has gone from being quite easy to agitated and only sleeping 1/2 an hour at a time.

Poor love. I took him in a fan last night so I hope it cooled him down-I will find out later.

Have good days everyone.

Keep cool!

Lyn T

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My dream is to go on a cruise to Antarctica so I too prefer the cold.

I have not noticed any real change in Gordon but there is a change in me. I am more short tempered!!!

Jeannette

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Can't say I've noticed any difference at my mother's CH. There is a very nice garden and a nice shaded patio area, but most of them, inc. my mother, don't usually want to go out.
I do feel sorry for the staff, though, since despite lots of fans and portable air conditioners, it's even hotter than usual in there (usually a bit like a greenhouse anyway) and their uniforms all look like nasty sticky polyester. Over 30 deg. here - I don't dare think what that is in old money. 90-odd?

Personally I only really like this sort of heat if I've got either the sea or a pool to fall into! Sunshine is always nice, but when you've got ordinary life and work to get on with, heat like this can get a bit much.

SussexDave

Apr 19, 2012
Effect of light

Spot on "Winnie 10". A significant part of mum's dementia is her reaction to low light levels. We can manage the heat but in the winter with short days or during bad summers where the cloud lowers light levels we have all sorts of sundowning type problems. In the winter I have to use high output bulbs and keep the house lit like a Christmas tree.

The level of activity rises too as we do not have to worry about rain, mum's reaction to getting wet is not good especially if she is in her wheelchair.

Mum is 100 times better during sunny weather and we both benefit.

I think mum should have been born in California

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
Lovely weather today, lovely and warm, from about 5.40 ish pm or so mum really started to sundown and i can honestly say this is the worst mum has been sindce the hot weather started at first! it was "The Usual" ie dad and her brother had left her, she wants to die, crying:(:(:(:(:(:( Mum and i went for a walk today and about 6.40pm i asked if she wanted to go for a walk again arounf the neighbourhood as she ws still talking about"wanting home" so we went another walk and by yhe end of it she still said she thought i was taking her to husbands and brother's and i again very kindly said no that they were in heaven and she said that i had hoodwinked her and that she knew not to trust me and started crying again:(:(

Waiting on the home helps coming in to get her redy for bed.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear WS - it is so hard, I know. You've done the very best you can. I hope she settles when the home helps have finished their routine.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I phoned the CH to see how auntie was today, and they said she was fine, but was moving her clothes out of the wardrobe, and walking around the corridors with them.

Does anyone else have a relative who does this?

I pointed out that for auntie, this is generally a sign of a UTI brewing - due to lack of fluid in the warm weather.

The carer I spoke to just brushed my idea aside, any idea what else I can do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA