Sunrising

Lizanne

Sep 22, 2018
New to this. I care for my 88 year old mother-in-law. She is very tearful and down first thing. A couple of hours later after I've got her dressed and given her breakfast she is lovely. But is there anything I can do to improve her morning mood?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Lizanne, I don't have an answer to your problem but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and express the hope that you will find this a friendly and supportive place.

The only thing I can think of that is somewhat similar to this is with my wife who experiences difficulty in separating her dreams from reality when she first wakes. I find that rapid intervention with distracting reassurance is required. The issue with my wife is that her dreams are often troubled, possibly because of the confusion her mind experiences, so this may be what's happening to your MiL too. Just a thought.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
New to this. I care for my 88 year old mother-in-law. She is very tearful and down first thing. A couple of hours later after I've got her dressed and given her breakfast she is lovely. But is there anything I can do to improve her morning mood?
I visit my husband every day in his nursing home. I notice that quite a few residents are like this. When I go in, I think, oh dear, what has happened? But after their breakfast and several cups of tea they are back to their usual selves!
warmest, Kindred.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I'm so sorry you are going through this with your Mil. My Mum, who has lived with me for 4 years, and for whom I am sole carer, seems to have sunrising, noonrising, sundowning and moonrising!!! The only time she's ok is when I take her out in the afternoons, which I do every day. I don't know how much more I can take of it. I've called the doctors a couple of times and they just say it's her dementia and nothing can be done so I struggle day in, day out with it. I love my Mum and want to care for her until the end but I'm starting to wonder if I will be able to at this rate! If you find a solution, let.me know!!

Last edited: