Sundowning

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
I HATE SUNDOWNING, I find it one of the most difficult things to deal with.
Just putting it out there

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
me to - problem is Dad seems to be out the other side of that temporarily -permanently sleepy in bed and I'm not sure which is harder .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I have to deal with my dad being obsessed about going to Malaysia ..........................

Very difficult especially when your not feeling so well

MaNaAk

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have to deal with my dad being obsessed about going to Malaysia ..........................

Very difficult especially when your not feeling so well

MaNaAk

The main change to that for us was Trazodone. When it occurs - rarely now - it is much easier to deal with than in the past.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The main change to that for us was Trazodone. When it occurs - rarely now - it is much easier to deal with than in the past.

Marion!

I feel better reading your post because eventhough it is more medicine for dad at least it is out there.

MaNaAk

Alvira

Oct 28, 2017
Now that daylight savings time is gone, it starts earlier for my dad. Glad to hear that Tramadone helps. I will ask the Hospice nurse if it is a possibility for him.

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for replies, I'm in a state, over an hour n a half trying everything I could think of to change subject, distract and contain my mum, who has v. Poor mobility but was trying to leave without even her walking frame ended up having to explain she lives here with us, we r taking care of her, it's because you've been ill you are getting mixed up, her response in an angry incredulous voice "you're looking after me! You couldn't look after a dog.
Just devastated doesn't cover it.
Will see the doctor this week and ask for tramadone please God it helps 'cos I can't do this every evening.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Trazodone! Just in case you are asking for the wrong med. John started on 50 mg and now has 200 mg per day with a spare 50 mg for during the night if it is needed.

It is an anti depressant although he has never been depressed. It is commonly used for dementia and seems to have a calming effect. Three years ago I was walking the neighbourhood with him almost every night until he forgot the nonsense about going home or meeting his dead brothers!

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Ahhh yes sundowning, my dad is worse in the winter due to the longer nights, now his confusion seems full throttle. Last Thursday he went out at 3pm after lots of protests from us we couldn't stop him, he didn't get in till 4am. I drove around from 8-12 then again 1-2.30, phoned the police at 11pm, a taxi dropped him off at 4am and he was going on as if nothing had happened although he was completely confused.

Every night for the last 2 weeks he gets up at 1am to go home, put him back to bed then at 2am he's up again to go to work. He's leaving the front door open at night he's actually gotten out one night when I crashed out luckily I found him up the road.

A call to the GP this week is in order to review his medication

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
@gene genie
Hi my Mum has vascular too and we get the same she says is ‘going out’ or in her really tormented times, she has got to get out of this place.
When it happens and it is so upsetting and exhausting. I make sure doors are locked and keys secured in a different place to usual.
I will then ask if we can sort tomorrow, it’s dark, it’s Sunday nothing will be open, we need to sit down and work out a good approach, we need a bigger bag to pack stuff in I’ll get one tomorrow, let’s have a cuppa before you go,i’ve just done dinner, we need to sort the drawer so we can see what to take, basically any excuse I can think of. Yes it goes on for a long time. I let her wonder off around the house on her own.
I never bother to try and explain it’s the offensive bully vascular that is doing this.
I so empathise with you.
One to make you smile I talked her out of one ‘outing’ over the phone the other day and she said ‘you really are giving me earache keep chatting on’ lol
When the times start I always tell myself it will be over in a few hours. That’s how it works at the moment maybe an hour or two peace between the episodes.
If only I had the power to wipe this vicious nasty disease out!

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
@gene genie
Hi my Mum has vascular too and we get the same she says is ‘going out’ or in her really tormented times, she has got to get out of this place.
When it happens and it is so upsetting and exhausting. I make sure doors are locked and keys secured in a different place to usual.
I will then ask if we can sort tomorrow, it’s dark, it’s Sunday nothing will be open, we need to sit down and work out a good approach, we need a bigger bag to pack stuff in I’ll get one tomorrow, let’s have a cuppa before you go,i’ve just done dinner, we need to sort the drawer so we can see what to take, basically any excuse I can think of. Yes it goes on for a long time. I let her wonder off around the house on her own.
I never bother to try and explain it’s the offensive bully vascular that is doing this.
I so empathise with you.
One to make you smile I talked her out of one ‘outing’ over the phone the other day and she said ‘you really are giving me earache keep chatting on’ lol
When the times start I always tell myself it will be over in a few hours. That’s how it works at the moment maybe an hour or two peace between the episodes.
DollyBird16
@gene genie
I so empathise with you.
DollyBird16 I have tried all of those strategies I'm Sat here crying my heart out as it went on for 3 hours today I'm so worn out with it, I can deal with the forgetfulness the aggressive behavior the incontinence and all sorts of other symptoms but sundowning just exhausts me.
I'm definitely going to insist on the tablets tomorrow as I really can't take it another night.
Sorry for the self centred post but I'm really truly worn out with it all.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
One other tip. They are prescribed to be taken at lunch and tea time but I give them at around 3 pm and 7 or 8 pm to cover that sundowning period. Initially they may have a sedating effect but gradually just a calming effect.

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
One other tip. They are prescribed to be taken at lunch and tea time but I give them at around 3 pm and 7 or 8 pm to cover that sundowning period. Initially they may have a sedating effect but gradually just a calming effect.
Thanks, just got mum to bed now I can spend an hour with my partner, before bed when hopefully I will be able to get 4 hours uninterrupted sleep. C

Kazzy2016

Mar 5, 2017
East Anglia
This seems to be common across all variations of Dementia. I try distraction techniques when mum starts this part of the day, it’s exhausting and I find later, when I’m alone all I want to do is howl.

Keep smiling

gene genie

Apr 26, 2017
This seems to be common across all variations of Dementia. I try distraction techniques when mum starts this part of the day, it’s exhausting and I find later, when I’m alone all I want to do is howl.

Keep smiling
Quick update mum is now in crisis care as I had a total meltdown on Monday, I've been caring for mum almost 13 months now with no back up or support of any kind.
I feel so so terrible guilty and selfish but I really really was at the end of my tether, I think it was mostly the fear I'd have another 3 hours of sundowning to cope with. I just couldn't face it.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@gene genie, I'm sorry to hear about your mum, but I'm also sorry to hear about you. Caring for someone with dementia 24/7 with no, or little support, is a really, really tough job. It's no good you having a breakdown or killing yourself with the stress. The statistics about carers who die before the person they care for doesn't, are grim. It's not selfish to stay healthy and alive!

I hope you will get some sleep, a chance to think, some sort of assessment for you mother, and some help. Sending very best wishes to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandaRedPanda