Sundowning and delirium and hallucinations

Deloma

Jun 27, 2020
I find it very difficult to deal with my husband in the middle of the night. He constantly refers to these other people and he needs to get away. Tonight he won’t let me touch him and feels very frightened if I attempt to. He thinks I’m leaving him. Anybody else have this problem.? I’m desperate for advice..

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Deloma.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband's hallucinations. It must be really scary. Does he have a diagnosis of a particular form of dementia? Hallucinations can be more common in certain forms. If this is something new it might be due to a urine infection. It would be worth having him checked for a UTI. My mum used to hallucinate but only when she had a UTI.

If you are very worried about him tonight you should phone out of hours GP - sorry I'm in Scotland so not sure what the procedure is in England but you know what I mean.

I hope you can get him settled.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You might find this factsheet helpful in the long term.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you are very worried about him tonight you should phone out of hours GP - sorry I'm in Scotland so not sure what the procedure is in England but you know what I mean.
Phoning the normal surgery should either tell you where to call or divert you to the appropriate number

Deloma

Jun 27, 2020
Welcome to the forum @Deloma.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband's hallucinations. It must be really scary. Does he have a diagnosis of a particular form of dementia? Hallucinations can be more common in certain forms. If this is something new it might be due to a urine infection. It would be worth having him checked for a UTI. My mum used to hallucinate but only when she had a UTI.

I hope you can get him settled.
He has vascular and altziemers for 5 years. He’s under a psychiatrist who keeps changing medication but nothings working. He completely changes at night. I’m looking for respite
I just wondered if anybody else was experiencing this. Thank you for your reply.

Deloma

Jun 27, 2020
I wrote about 3 weeks ago. But now my husband is in respite and I don’t feel I can have him home. He sleeps ok with new medication but walks about continuously, going into other peoples rooms picking up things that don’t belong to him. They lost him late one night, called the police and eventually found him shut in one of the empty rooms. Yesterday, the senior rang and said they had found him In another persons room with a big red mark on his head. Then they called an ambulance to check him over. When I saw him it is like a graze, nobody knows what happened, he’s only been there a week! I don’t know what to do?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Deloma

If you feel that this carehome can’t cope with your husband’s behaviour it might be worthwhile looking at a few others to see if they would suit him better. It does sound as though he needs someone to keep an eye on him all the time and some homes are better at dealing with wanderers than others. Going into other peoples rooms and picking things up is normal for EMI homes if this is what he’s in and shouldn’t phase them.
I’m surprised the empty rooms aren’t kept locked though.

He has only been there for a week and they’re still getting used to him. Have you spoken to the manager about your worries and wether they would be able to cope with him going forwards?

Deloma

Jun 27, 2020
This is what we want to find out. There are no restrictions for dementia persons and it’s supposed to be an althziemers care home. We will talk to the social worker tomorrow, she been on leave all week.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
It does sound as though this home may only be geared up for people with early stage dementia. If you do decide to look elsewhere ask how they would manage your husband and keep track of his wandering. The home my dad was in had a gate at the bottom of the stairs so it was difficult for residents to wander into each other’s rooms and the staff found it easier to keep track of people. Visitors were always let in and out by a staff member so there was no chance of escape!