Suitable TV set for early stages of Alzheimer's

SubClause38

Jan 1, 2017
I'm looking for advice regarding a new TV for my parents. My father becomes very muddled by technology! We're looking for a TV that is reasonably straightforward to use, has a subtitle option and the ability to record programmes. Any recommendations very gratefully received. Thank you.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
It would be so useful, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, the people who make TVs are not motivated to make them the way a PWD (person with dementia) might need them.

Have a look at this Talking Point thread from 2013: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?54333-Ideas-for-a-simple-to-use-TV

I did a quick Google search and came across a retro style product that is for a care home environment, and it is only for playing DVDs I think: http://www.new-vision.co.uk/health/products/retro-tvs Not really what you need at the moment but it could be useful to some people who aren't able to manage TV controls but will enjoy someone putting on a DVD for them.

Last edited:

SubClause38

Jan 1, 2017
Thank you so much for your quick response - and for googling on my behalf. I'll check out those links. Such a mine field!

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I assume it is the remote control that they find difficult to use. Have a look at the Doro 'HandleEasy' universal remote control. It learns from your exisiting remote control (the one for the TV or freeview box) and is very basic. On/Off buttons, channel change buttons and volume.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-HandleEasy-Universal-Infrared-Control/dp/B0014F2CJC

If you run the TV from a freeview box you can reduce the number of channels available (at least my freeview box can). Therefore they can have only a few channels to search through and you can filter out the shopping channels (it will also avoid them getting confused by choice). Obviously the Doro would 'learn' from the freeview remote control in such a scenario.

Al-4

Dec 30, 2016
An alternative to the Doro remote is the Flipper Big Button available on amazon. Reducing the number of channels is a good suggestion, also rearranging the channels so most viewed are available with the 0-9 buttons on a standard remote. I bought my mum the Technika 32" from Tesco at £149. It has usb recording capability and is very configurable with regards to channel organising/deleting also capable of pre setting volume.

KatieSimpson

Mar 5, 2024
my mum’s problem is the screen interface which is far too complicated. She just confuses the remote with the phone. I’m just after a TV with 4 buttons which I can preprogram to BBC1 2 ITV and ch4. she doesn’t recognise any other channels. Someone somewhere must make one. Or an interface you can stick along the bottom?

backin

Feb 6, 2024
my mum’s problem is the screen interface which is far too complicated. She just confuses the remote with the phone. I’m just after a TV with 4 buttons which I can preprogram to BBC1 2 ITV and ch4. she doesn’t recognise any other channels. Someone somewhere must make one. Or an interface you can stick along the bottom?
Flipper big button remote will do this. Has an on/off, volume up and down, channel up and down and a mute button. You add the 4 channels you want then just cycle through them.

KatieSimpson

Mar 5, 2024
Thank you for this, but what tv do you use? She is overwhelmed by all the information on smart screens. Just want a tv that will come on on the channel last set and only scroll through the 3 others.