Suitable Television

Wiljana1

Aug 22, 2020
Hi

My Dad has vascular dementia, currently living at home alone, and cannot work the TV. The only channel we can have on that does not get heim upset is Sky Sports for football.

Looking to purchase a TV that we can put on a timer and will be simple to use if needed by his Carer’s.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thank you

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hopefully someone will turn up with the perfect solution and make my post redundant.
I love technology!
I have a camera called a YI.
( so cheap on Amazon )
It requires broadband.
The reason I love it so much is it plays a six second film of the last time the beam is broken.
(With the speed my mother moves not much to see!)
It also gives live coverage.
So I ring mum. She ignores the phone call. Normally I would panic. But with a YI I can see her wandering around and then you know she is ok. Or see that 20 minutes ago she made a cup of tea!
You could use this to find out if he is watching late at night and then call and say
‘ time for bed?’

For the careers I would type out ( including photos to make it idiot proof ) instructions for whatever TV use. Laminate then blue tack to the wall.
Have at least 3 back up copy’s of the laminates to have back up if they disappear!

Hope this makes sense?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm not sure what you are asking for - ideas for TV programmes or an actual TV set?

If you want to buy a new TV set, you could buy one the same as your own so that when questions are asked over the phone you are able to easily answer them. Your dad won't be able to follow instructions (I'm sure you know that) but as the previous poster said you could leave several sets of basic instructions in the house so the carers can follow them.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Also mum has an Alexa Echo Show.
We just use it for video calls etc.
But at their houses my kid just say ‘ Alexa tv on’
and she does it!
Something else to consider?

I love Alexa, she may be listening into my life ( pity her!) but I don’t care!
To wake up in the middle of the night with my eyes shut and say ‘ Alexa what time is it’
Luxury!!!?

Last edited:

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
My Samsung TV has an on/off timer which I had set up for my mum as she can't use a remote, you can select the channel it turns on to. She moved to a care home a couple of weeks ago and I was looking for a smaller telly for her room that also had an on/off timer but I struggled, but figured the staff in the home can help her turn it on.
Maybe an idea to go into a shop and ask.

May30

Feb 25, 2017
My mum and dad have a Bush that we bought from argos. The buttons on the remote are big and it is fairly easy to use.
It has Netflix and a dvd player.
It also says it has a sleep timer.

Last edited:

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I did a quick bit of online research on this and it is possible to set up a system that enables the TV to be remotely controlled, so you could select the channel from far away. There are controllers available that connect to certain television sets over WiFi and they can be set up to work remotely. This involves setting up a network in the PWD's house and setting up port forwarding in the router. So, this requires someone with above-average IT skills to chose the equipment and install and maintain it. It would mean that you would have to do all the channel selection remotely so that might be off-putting.

Alexa is another solution and I am not sure if it can be set up to choose channels. It can with certain hardware but again this is complicated. You would need your smartphone to be part of the PWD'S network not your own. An advantage would be that voice commands might be used by the PWD himself if he could remember what to say and enunciate clearly.

We cannot discuss named products here as far as I know but you probably need someone with good computing skills to work on this as a project and who could talk to you in person about the set up, budgets etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
...set up a system that enables the TV to be remotely controlled, so you could select the channel from far away.

When specifying equipment bear in mind that some recent TVs use RF not IR on the remote controller.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream