Suitable clothing.

SusieD

Jul 15, 2022
Apologies if this has been discussed before but I've joined only in the last five minutes, done a topic search and can't find anything.
My Mum is in a nursing home. She has advanced vascular dementia. The specific issue I need help with is to try to find suitable clothing which will limit her tendency to take her clothing off and to pull off her incontinence pads. I've read enough to realise that this is a common problem so I'm hoping that there is suitable clothing out there.......somewhere. Nothing too restricting clearly, but just something that is not easily removed.
Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @SusieD and welcome to Dementia Talking Point our supportive and friendly community. Clothing for people with dementia is a common issue. In a nursing home setting the staff will appreciate clothes that are relatively easy to put on and change when necessary. Unfortunately this will not help with the problem that you have identified. I hope that some members with direct experience of this sort of thing may be able to give you some ideas.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
@SusieD - we tried various kinds of underwear for my Mum, who had mixed dementia and similar issues. You may find a light cycling short (sold in M&S and elsewhere as "shapewear") helps, though you want to make sure it isn't too restrictive as to be uncomfortable. Have the home tried "pull ups" more like adult nappies? These can be helpful when people are more active.
I don't have a link, but I have seen threads here where a kind of sleepsuit (for wear at night) was used that had a zip at the back so that it was harder to remove.
However, I have to say that Mummy tended to be able to get into whatever we tried. Se was very determined and had all day to work on it. Eventually this phase passed for her.
I hope you are able to find some solutions.

SusieD

Jul 15, 2022
@SusieD - we tried various kinds of underwear for my Mum, who had mixed dementia and similar issues. You may find a light cycling short (sold in M&S and elsewhere as "shapewear") helps, though you want to make sure it isn't too restrictive as to be uncomfortable. Have the home tried "pull ups" more like adult nappies? These can be helpful when people are more active.
I don't have a link, but I have seen threads here where a kind of sleepsuit (for wear at night) was used that had a zip at the back so that it was harder to remove.
However, I have to say that Mummy tended to be able to get into whatever we tried. Se was very determined and had all day to work on it. Eventually this phase passed for her.
I hope you are able to find some solutions.
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I especially like the idea of the cycling shorts. I will get some and see how she is with them....I will ask the home staff.
Thank you again.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan